HELP ME

Steven Simpson

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I recently bought a 1981 xs650 and rode it for about 2 months with no problems.

Into the winter, I disconnected most of the electrical, tore the bike down and hacked the frame.

I now have the engine back in a most of the wiring done. I believe everything is grounded and I have checked I beleive almost every wire for power.

My goal is to make this bike kick only, but as I am doing all this I cant get spark or get the engine to fire..

Any tips I may be missing out on????

Seems you've "hacked" more than just the frame, lol. I would start by getting an '81 wiring diagram and studying it. You may have removed some components you need.

I recently bought a 1981 xs650 and rode it for about 2 months with no problems.
Into the winter, I disconnected most of the electrical, tore the bike down and hacked the frame.
I now have the engine back in a most of the wiring done. I believe everything is grounded and I have checked I beleive almost every wire for power.
My goal is to make this bike kick only, but as I am doing all this I cant get spark or get the engine to fire..
Any tips I may be missing out on????

Hi Steve and welcome,
the "usual suspect" for no spark after doing wiring work are those alleged safety features like the clutch and side-stand interlock switches.
Check that they are either connected right or are properly bypassed.

Hi Steve and welcome,
the "usual suspect" for no spark after doing wiring work are those alleged safety features like the clutch and side-stand interlock switches.
Check that they are either connected right or are properly bypassed.
Awesome whats the simplest way to check those? sorry im brand new

If your bike really is an '81 model, it won't have the sidestand relay and switch, only the clutch one. But that clutch relay and switch doesn't act on the spark or ignition black box, it simply cuts power to the electric starter motor. Removing those components won't kill the spark, just electric starter function.

Plenty of simplified wiring system lay outs in the "tech" section

Back