Hobbies outside of XS???

I agree there is some amazing talent here . I'm blown away by it all.

Love the planes carbon, I never realised that you could fly rc planes so large .i've always wanted a scale submarine to go exploring the lakes and rivers and blow surface boats up lol:laugh:
it would be amazing to fit a Go-Pro camera to one :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Speaking of R/C cars. Gary Nixon, yes that Gary Nixon, had a really cool R/C car shop on York Rd. in Cockeysville, Md. My step-father and I were there all the time in the early '90's. Gary also had this cool, high bank oval track in another building. There were races all the time, usually Friday nights. His shop had 2 or 3 of his racing Triumphs in the front window and a warehouse supply of motorcycle parts in the back. His leathers hung on the wall above the counter. You could just hang out and talk R/C cars or racing with him. Great guy. I had a few of his "Gary Nixon Enterprises" t-shirts, but have since lost them all. That is where I really fell in love with flat tracking and motorcycle history.
My step-father had everything "Team Associates". He was mad into R/C cars.

I love the R/C planes too, Im seriously into WW2 aircraft (& I fly 'em on flight sims),Id like to try some model flying like that P51, how much should I be spending for a half-decent kit & what motor, 2 or 4-stroke or electric?

I agree there is some amazing talent here . I'm blown away by it all.

Love the planes carbon, I never realised that you could fly rc planes so large .i've always wanted a scale submarine to go exploring the lakes and rivers and blow surface boats up lol:laugh:
it would be amazing to fit a Go-Pro camera to one :thumbsup:

I used to know someone who built an R/C submarine, he launched it on a big lake in the local park and it worked perfectly in every respect even when he sailed it across the lake submerging it as he went, sadly though this was the point where we discovered those old R/C rigs don't seem to work underwater and we never saw the submarine again!!!!!

My brother spent 3 months building this little R/C boat. He was quite proud and it looked really good. I still remember the look on his face when the rock, his friend threw, made a direct hit on the bow. It was it's maiden voyage and still rests quietly, since 1985, on the bottom of that pond.

I love the R/C planes too, Im seriously into WW2 aircraft (& I fly 'em on flight sims),Id like to try some model flying like that P51, how much should I be spending for a half-decent kit & what motor, 2 or 4-stroke or electric?

The best thing to do is get an RC sim(http://www.phoenix-sim.com/) and also join a club in your area. Then buy a cheap second hand plane you don't mind crashing and learn on that. I would suggest electric as it's less hassle than IC/petrol engines, although initially could cost a bit for the batteries and a good charger. That cost gets equally bad if you fly IC/petrol as you have to keep buying fuel, and at nearly £40 a gallon it soon adds up! Plus they are oily and smelly and you always have to faff with the engine everytime you fly!

You can pay anything from £100 upwards for an RC plane, depending on size and make. a 1/4 scale P-51 like shown would probably cost in excess of £5000 all inclusive, so not good if you are still learning!!

Thanks for the comments guys, means a lot! Some real talent here outside of tinkering with bikes!:thumbsup:

You guys are all killing me! :banghead:
I feel like I need to buy a 35mm DSLR a MAC and Photo Shop before I'll ever be able to submit a decent picture! Gone are the days of crappy camera phones!

Don't even get me started on why we're here in the first place!

:wtf: It's no wonder why all of the builds here are so damn sweet!

You guys give us average people false hope, thinking we just need a manual, half a brain and a dozen questions (In the forums) and we'll be fine!

OK! Rant over with! I'm all good! :thumbsup: Really nice work guys!

You guys are all killing me! :banghead:
I feel like I need to buy a 35mm DSLR a MAC and Photo Shop before I'll ever be able to submit a decent picture! Gone are the days of crappy camera phones!

Don't even get me started on why we're here in the first place!

:wtf: It's no wonder why all of the builds here are so damn sweet!

You guys give us average people false hope, thinking we just need a manual, half a brain and a dozen questions (In the forums) and we'll be fine!

OK! Rant over with! I'm all good! :thumbsup: Really nice work guys!

You don't need a DSLR to get a decent picture but it does help-I'm just an average guy too and any pics I take on my phone always look crap. The Photoshop is mainly for me to straighten and crop my pictures as I'm always forgetting to hold the damn camera straight ;)
Must admit it's got some really good effects in the software though, here's a pic that wasn't that good to start with, it was sloping slightly, there were annoying bits in the background that I hadn't noticed, and it was a bit out of focus too but after some time spent messing about on a wet afternoon I got this out of it:-

DSD17_zps13a766a3.jpg

Here's another pic that I took outside my tent just before the sun came up that came out a bit shaky and all the colours looked wrong so I just sharpened it up then really messed with the colours to get this:-

halibag2.jpg

I think it's the most fun bit of software I've ever bought and the only thing it lacks that I could do with is an automatic "good taste" function ;) :D

automatic "good taste" function:laugh::laugh:

That sounds a lot like George Carlin's idea for a light bulb that only shines on things worth looking at!:laugh:

Back