holey zaust, gold flake filter.

southerndime333

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello once again.....
found out the lip on my exhaust was broken , welll about 4 mm on the left hand exhaust ..... well that wouldnt help with the amal tuneing now would it......

so anyway... my question on this fine day is... gold looking metal tasting flakes are in my oil filter ( filter opon my case) .SO i pulled the sump filter.. found it was torn, could that be the reason for my gold find?? but i am worried that i might have to change the cam chain.. cam chain guild and all that jazz to go with it... is it worth my pulling the top end apart??? :doh:

Sump filter is always torn, is some of the screen missing? That could be your flakes, if so life is good no worries, Did you see if they are magnetic?

Just throwing this out there...
My anti seize compound shows gold flakes if it is mixed with oil. Any chance you used some on the fasteners on the clutch side, or ???

Years ago when I spun the main crank bearings on my old Yamaha dirt bike I had lots of gold flakes in my oil. :(

BTW - I would not be tasting those flakes if I were you. No telling where they've been. :yikes:

When the missing pieces of the sump filter screen go through the pump, they get ground very fine. These grindings settle in all the low spots in the engine. Not anything to worry about. The brass bits are much softer than the steel the engine parts are made of.
Steel bits are another thing.
Leo

it must be all the metal flakes ive been tasteing... but sorry for the late reply..... tried a nice magnet on the oiley flakes... and they are indeed magnetic... so so so ... the only fluid stuff ive used in my endin in locktite whitch is plastic and red or maybe it was blue...

now i know brass and ally isnt magnetic.. so could this be flakes from the gears or maybe what i fear the cam chain ness..

Like Tomterrific said, the properties of the engine oil will sometimes make silver/chrome shiny things appear to be gold in color.

Unless of course you decide to throw a little of this in your case:
goldschlager1.jpg

Back