home made harness question about neg/ground

I hate to tell you this...j/k :)

It's strange you would read that difference. The resistance between the two is practically nothing. Unplug the orange and read where the orange was. If it's still significantly lower, your coil's messed up. Otherwise, I'd say your tci is messed up, unless it works - in which case it's fine ;) Let it sit on about 10 sec. before you measure with the orange connected.

On your coil wires, In a points ignition power goes to the coil on the red/white wire, from the coil to the points. When the points are closed this puts the orange wire at ground potential. When the points are open this unhooks the orange wire from ground, At this point you will read some voltage, It's been along time since I messed with points in this way so I can't say how much.
With a TCI a transistor takes the place of the points, so I assume that when the transistor is turned on it acts like when the points are closed. Power flows thru the coil to ground. When the transistor is turned off the power flow stops, as when the points open. This leads me to believe that at times you can read no voltage on the orange wire and sometimes you can read a small voltage. Same as with points.
As far as testing goes looking for a voltage on the orange wire is at best inconclusive. Not a necessary test.

When the points are open this unhooks the orange wire from ground, At this point you will read some voltage, It's been along time since I messed with points in this way so I can't say how much.

You should read the same on both ends of the primary coil when the points are open. That's why it was worrisome to me she was reading 2v or whatever. I suggested she wait 10 seconds because the tci will fix an inadvertent on condition.

The "condenser" blocks DC. So you should read 12v dc.

kettering-lede-1209.jpg

Back