1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Homemade and Unique Tools

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Travis, Sep 29, 2009.

1. GLJ

GLJ If you can't laugh at youself you shouldn't laugh Top Contributor

Sorry 5T don't understand what you mean. The attachment for the lift arms are bolted to the motor in 2 places. The base is bolted to the lift with 2 3/8s bolts. 3/8s bolts are more than enough for 160 lbs.

Attached Files:

Jim and gggGary like this.
  2. GLJ

upload_2019-10-15_14-51-59.png
    upload_2019-10-15_14-52-36.png
    upload_2019-10-15_14-53-10.png upload_2019-10-15_14-53-39.png
    upload_2019-10-15_14-55-13.png

TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  3. GLJ

I'm sure there could be improvements made. I built it out of scrap steel I had. A friend gave me the lift. Total investment less than $5 for bolts. Beats using my back.

Jim, Mailman, gggGary and 1 other person like this.
  4. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Very good - and I like the fetching yellow paint!

Jim, Mailman and GLJ like this.
  5. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I was talking about where it connects to the engine. I "hang" the motor from a connection with 2 sides that the bolt can pass through .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But like you said, you can mod it easy enough. It took some modding on mine before it was really good.

TwoManyXS1Bs and MaxPete like this.
  6. XSevive

XSevive XS650 Enthusiast

Travis, nice tools, bit late for you i know but the spark plug TDC one is so easy to do, just grind off the uppermost crimped part of the steel section(where you have the weld) and the entire guts just drops out, 20 sec's on the grindng wheel

MaxPete and gggGary like this.
  7. XSevive

XSevive XS650 Enthusiast

here,s my wheel polisher ,old ride-on-mower spindle and belt
    ' 20190224_121241_Moment.jpg 20190224_121241_Moment(2).jpg

8. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Ooohhh - neato!

I really like the fully exposed drivebelt - very early 1800s workhouse!

....you safety-conscious devil you!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Mailman, gggGary, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

I'd say your side mount tabs are just fine Greg. Weight distribution is about 2/1 forward biased. Call the motor 150lbs. Your fwd mount holds 100 and the rear 50lbs. Well within the capacity of a single tab. Majority of the weight is below he mounts, so very little rolling or twisting moment. I made my mounts the same way. Works fine. I've got an extra scissor jack. I might mod mine to work like yours.

3.jpg

TwoManyXS1Bs, 59Tebo, gggGary and 2 others like this.
  10. XSevive

XSevive XS650 Enthusiast

yeah O H and S i s my first priority, loose clothing and drinking beer whilst using it is mandatory !!! actually the belt is pretty slack and not spinning all that quick, you could probably grab the belt and stop it and the unfixed drill press would come crashing down.

11. Jack

Jack XS650 Junkie

What color gray are those cases painted? I saw a moto guzzie engine painted in cast iron gray and it just stood out.

Jim and gggGary like this.
  12. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

It's POR15 engine paint.

IMG_20191017_083539.jpg

13. scrapmetal

scrapmetal XS650 Enthusiast

is there a reason for the lower stand is pink? just thinking, always looking behind, but this tool is a blast for sure, 5 Star self-made tool!

TwoManyXS1Bs and gggGary like this.
  14. scrapmetal

scrapmetal XS650 Enthusiast

Please don't get me wrong, your ideas are fantastic, but where you take the time doing all that? I assume you are not i n a full employment anymore, not married, live in your workshop and somebody is cooking and cleaning for you??? LOL, just jealous , want the same