1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Homemade and Unique Tools

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Travis, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

^^^ I can't decide if that's an actual thing or a photoshop, but if it's real, I NEED one of those! :laugh2::cool:

2. LiveSlowDieWhenever

LiveSlowDieWhenever probably broke down. Just call me greasy.

It’s a casting by artis Paul Julius Martus that I first came across when I worked in a foundry where i blew glass in Philly for a stint. Found the image on my computer and had to share

Jim and MaxPete like this.
  3. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I’ll take a 10” model please.

Jim and gggGary like this.
  4. LiveSlowDieWhenever

LiveSlowDieWhenever probably broke down. Just call me greasy.

I believe they’re cast in bronze, so a 10” would probably end up with about the grip strength of actual fingers :laugh2:

Jim, MaxPete and gggGary like this.
  5. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

Wouldn't we all.

gggGary, Jim and MaxPete like this.
  6. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

Paint stripping tool
    Crop 800-600 Trade mark 0504.jpg

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.
  7. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Dang! That’s a wicked looking beastie!

8. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

More like an evisceration tool. I bought a blade like that, used it exactly ONCE, No not one job, I tried one cut. Still makes me shiver, and that was 30 years ago.

TwoManyXS1Bs and timbeck like this.
  9. 650Skull

Yea they can be brutal.......Can't buy these type anymore, US made as well.......Its a Chainsaw Chain clamped between 2 plates on a grinder......Great for carving, just rips away the wood, it gets dam painful in certain positions, it is hard to get out of the way of the shavings.
    Can see in the second pic how much it can shave off in a stroke, then the sanding disks from rough to smooth
    scan0088.jpg scan0091.jpg

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.
  10. 650Skull

No different than using a chainsaw, never touch wood unless at full or near to full revs, (on a grinder it is either stop or flat out), hold the tool soft enough it cant grab and pull from your hand yet firm enough to feel what the tool is doing and let it do the work

11. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Sorry but much different than a chain saw. speed, lack of mass, lack of a "better to control" lever arm. no clutch mechanism. Even with that, cutting with the bar tip is a common death by chainsaw moment. Why chainsaws have kickback brakes. Electric chain saws are more hazardous than gas because of instant torque. Chainsaw chaps are not rated for use with an electric chainsaw. Guess why?
    Seriously those blades on angle grinders are scary. IMHO "banned" for good reason. I'm not sure if they were banned or it's impossible to get insurance to make or sell them in the US. Probably still have mine kicking around the bottom of an angle grinder blade box somewhere. I'm sure it's a learned skill to use one but not for me, thank you very much.

12. 650Skull

Used Chainsaws all my life......before bar locks, kickback controls............never had a kick back, used the bar tip when necessary being well aware of what might/will happen and used to compensate..........not for every one, nor is cutting a circle with a power saw...........or carving with a chainsaw........

The secret is thinking about the worst thing that could happen every time, good stance.......mind is set

gggGary likes this.
  13. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  14. I think I found the appropriate thread for this, found some "old school" tools, and some not so old, but nifty tools today while cleaning the stuff that I inherited from my late grandfather (rest in peace pop pop)

Check em' out and let me know what you think!

I am particularly fond of the "mustang" and the oateys flux!

Attached Files:

gggGary, TwoManyXS1Bs and Mailman like this.
  15. Mailman

That’s nice that you have some of your grandfathers tools. A nice rememberance. I’ve never seen that tool labeled 50mm. Mustang, pretty cool!

G_YamTech_314 likes this.
  16. It's looking like it works almost like a T handle. Clip on the size socket you need, crank it off, then swivel it straight for quick spin, and removal. Pretty cool. Even has a hole in it for extra leverage if needed.

gggGary likes this.
  17. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

Awhile back I modified a bike lift for engine removal/instillation. My goal was to be able to remove/install engines by myself with no heavy lifting. Today I got to give it a tryout on removing an engine from a parts bike I bought.
    Attached and ready to go.
    upload_2019-10-15_14-0-31.png
    upload_2019-10-15_14-1-34.png
    Starting to lift.
    upload_2019-10-15_14-2-23.png
    Success A few minuets later she's out. No heavy lifting or blood spilled.
    upload_2019-10-15_14-3-46.png

18. Mailman

Nice work Greg! That would be darned handy!

gggGary and MaxPete like this.
  19. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Very slick - could you shoot some close-ups of the various components Greg?
    Pete

Jim and gggGary like this.
  20. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

You're a trusting soul, supporting the engine with just 2 bolts that only attach at one end, lol.