homemade axle plates slipping

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
whew!! Whent for a scoot around the 'hood, and as I just got out of first gear, the left chain aduster decided it was time to slide! It shot forward, and the chain jumped the rear sprocket. The bolt had gone up, and the locknut somehow stripped the bolt. Good thing I was in the drive, only just out of first. still suprising, and its a incline, the motor was a little cold, so i was givin it the go jiuce.
Anyways, Its a homemade hard tail, my own axle plate, and what Im wondering, is do I need to rough up the plates so this wont happen again? I looked at my stock suzuki, and those plates are smooth.
I got it apart tonight, and straightened out the adjusters, and rethreaded the adj's to 5/16 -18 so the threads get more bite.
I'm thinking paint may have let it slip.
I also cut in divots that the adj's bolts can sit in, and not pop up. I touched up the paint, but masked off where the adj;s sit. After I get it back together, i'll respray were I didnt paint tonight.
thoughts? comments?:shrug:

I would check to be absolutely sure you aren't hitting the shoulder on the axle before the nut tightens the assembly fully.
A picture looking down on each side would be nice to see.

I checked the threads, and I have plenty left to tighten. But if I tighten anymore, the adjuster on the left cranks down, bending the adj bolt. It isnt tight enuf.
When I thought I was done, I got the rear wheel off the floor with a atv jack, and started it, then Dumped it into first, then reved it, and POP! the left adj spun counter clockwise, and the sprocket shot forward. I cant get it tite enuf. I ground off all the paint for a better bite, tryd to tighten with a braeker bar, and it just wont tighten.

I checked the threads off the bike and was able to spin the nut all the way down with finger power, and when its tight on the bike assembled, the castelated nut is flush with the end of the axle, I still should have a 1/4 " of thread left.

At this point, I give up for the nite, turned off the petcock and let it run the carbs dry. I'll get it back apart tomorow.

The only thing I can figure is the spot where the threads stop, and the smooth of the axle starts, could be up against a washer , causing the nut to not go further.
But now, my adjusters are nackered, so, looks like I'll put a order into mike's, and sit on it.
Ive put 22 breakin miles around my 'hood , and I know it has been tighter than this, Ive done burnouts, throtled the piss out of it, hammered the rear break, It never moved before.
Dang.

my hunch was rite.... the adjuster with the smaller axle hole wasnt letting the shoulder of the axle thru.
Ive got two new adjusters comming from mikes. any body use them? I notice they dont have the rib that the stock ones do, but they are still better than the ones I have.
But now I have to drill out that smaller hole on the adjuster to 1 13/16 so the axle will slide thru so its tight enuf.
Another head-scratcher checked off the list.
Thanks ggggary

Back