how about a thread on dual sport xs's

royfisk

build and rebuild get bet
Reaction score
Ive seen several converted xs's on craigslist. I modified my first xs which became known as the xsl bike due to the sl-350 fenders. This bike is my favorite to ride of all the bikes ive owned. This bike handles well on both street and town maintained dirt roads.
Mods include
sl-350 fenders
xs-850 forks extended 2"
redwing hammerhead 14.25"
avon distenza tyres
mikuni vm 34mm carbs
ported head
standard aftermarket down pipes wearing supertrapp mufflers
sl-350 handlebars
amarachi harley davidson seat
81 special tank
1973 tx 750 swingarm
dual fire point ignition on high output coil

future mods include
mikes 750 kit
mikes cam
pamco ignition
overdrive 5th gear
36mm mikuni vm carbs
rear tool bag and small off road type luggage rack
posibly altering the down pipes with a little more upkick to the mufflers.

whats your dual sport or enduro like??????
:):):):thumbsup::laugh::laugh::yikes:

Attachments

• xsl project 012.jpg
    xsl project 012.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,946
Terrific post about your very cool bike... I have used my 1981SH Special quite a bit on dirt roads and it is torn down now for dual sport modifications... What gearing are you using?

Thank you for starting this topic thread!!!

Roy..........real nice looking rig you have there..........but personally I think it would look better hardtailed and some ape hangers.......would make it handle better too... :yikes:..and hope to talk soon...........

xsjohn

John! :doh:

Roy, I can't say I've ever seen anything exactly like that before. Very interesting. If we weren't all familiar with the size of the motor and gas tank, your picture would make it look like you have an old mini bike of some kind or a small pit bike.

Great job on the bike. It could easily pass for a factory special. I built mine as a street tracker 1st thinking it would be a great gravel road runner, but I really need to concentrate on suspension.
When I see a Triumph Scrambler I think wow nice versatile bike. An XS version would be a great bike and not much of a stretch.

thanks guys, Yes John I happen to have a hardtail project about to unfold, dont know bout no dam ape hangers though. Travis this was inspired from a honda sl-350 I use to have. GREAT DONNER BIKES. with aluminum fenders ets. Dogger suspension is everything next to brakes. Anyone else have any pics of there enduro's

Roy.........that Dual is the shitz man:thumbsup: Your arm pits might run cooler with the ape hangers though:banghead:

- if youre really into the dirt rather than the street, there are 4 speed transmissions as used in sidecross

inxs; not so much dirt as real off road. more like street gravel roads. theres 680 miles of town maintained roads in my town and 60% are dirt. Need the 5 speed for those other 40%.

Hi gang, I have seen Roy's scoot in person and it is "the dogs balls" :laugh: nice work Roy and please give me a shout so we can go tear it up some! Need my off road fix :er:

It's cool except the front fender. It ought to be big and plastic looking. Probably find one off a Honda XL.

"Form follows FUNction!"
How's that for the ad?

It's cool except the front fender. It ought to be big and plastic looking. Probably find one off a Honda XL.

"Form follows FUNction!"
How's that for the ad?
It is an oversized fender, "UFO" brand. I got the widest one they had, you are right I wish it was wider :shrug: and Roy is right, thats a 16" rear mag on the front :D another reason why its hard to cover, so fat! Most dirtbike wheels are narrow. Roy, I was thinking a saw blade insted of spikes to fill the holes :devil:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Would making an extension for the mount brackets to move the fender closer to the front tire help any?

I was thinking of building a dual sport originally, however the Street Tracker styling won out, with that being said there is still more time and ideas. I really like the dual sport look!:cool:

Attachments

• 101_1676.JPG
    101_1676.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 614
Back