How do I clean up my Chrome? ETC. -new member, new owner-

TheRunaway

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMAG1289.jpg

I'm a new member. Just got my second bike, which is also my first XS650. I'm sure I will get another one once I have become more familiar with working on bikes (specifically the XS's). I've already had tons of great tips and wisdom come from some of you guys on here and for that I am extremely grateful. Some of the things I asked about I don't really have the ability to do right now so I would like to focus on something I can go home and do tonight!

So... I would like to clean up the chrome (exhaust, front fender, rear fender, etc.) and also clean up the motor. Lots of grime buildup and maybe a little rust? Same with the wheels. I've actually been able to clean those up quite a bit. But no such luck with the motor. :shrug:

Any suggestions on good products/tools to use? :confused:

Also, I've seen some beautiful bikes on here already that look showroom! More likely to be fresh bought OEM parts? Or a LOT of cleaning? Just curious bc that's how I want mine to look. Thanks!

Most of the crud on the engine can be cleaned with the engine degreaser of your liking. A set of small brushes helps. Oh, lots of elbow grease.
On the chrome, aluminum foil and Coke.
Leo

Where can I buy elbow grease?

Hahahaha I'm playing. Thanks for the tip. Aluminum Foil and coke really? Never would've thought.

Oh and about the brushes. Do you mean wire brushes?

Anything aluminum cleans up real well with a homemade soda blaster. There are a few threads here on it I think. I have also seen a lot of recommendations for marvel mystery oil for chrome.

Elbow-Grease.png

Sold at most automotive stores. Just ask the clerk to find it for you, tell him the guy at the garage sent you over.

I was using brown compound and a buffer for my aluminum when one of the truckers gave me some Busch Aluminum wash its like $6.00 spray on rinse off then some Zephyer polish great stuff wipe on wipe or buff off it did 2 hours of buffing in 5min. He said it can be bought at most truck stops.

Elbow-Grease.png

Sold at most automotive stores. Just ask the clerk to find it for you, tell him the guy at the garage sent you over.
This... started my day of right. Haha thanks gggGary. Thanks to everyone else too. I think I'll try going the windex/aluminum foil and #0000 wire wool route first and see how it turns out.

_OFF TOPIC QUICK QUESTION_

The tags under your names; (XS650 Enthusiast, XS650 Guru, etc) are they earned? Ranking system? I haven't seen anything about them on here and I'm extremely curious.

On the black toolbar, click control panel, then on the sidebar Edit your details, scroll down to custom user title. Or the software will assign one.

There are default tags based on number of posts but when you set your own tag "RidinThroughThisWorld" it stays until you change it again.

Keep in mind I'm not that experienced but I've used Aluminum foil and water for chrome and it works very well. I've used pinesol to remove gunk and grease from other parts but haven't used it on chrome.

Back