How do I install the swing arm needle bearing conversion kit

craig8johnson

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm not opening up the old "we've already covered that, dumbass" can of worms but I'm back on the site after several years of being away. I've really tried to research this in a number of ways with no success. I'm looking for clear instructions on installing the needle bearing conversion kit from Mike's for the swing arm. I see lots of threads but no clear cut instructions. I've got the bearings out...I've done the brass conversion before...but I need step by step (preferably with pictures) instructions for installation.
Your help is much appreicated.

hm....there was an extremely detailed post/write up on 650rider. try diggin around there, I would but I'm about to pass out from a long day. if it isn't up tomorrow I'll try to find it.

I did find that thread but it didn't give me quite enough to go on.
There are four needle bearings. Do two go in each end of the swing arm? Do the lips on the bearings face in or out? Is one a spare set? That doesn't sound like Mike's XS or Parts Plus.

The 2 rollers go into the swingarm, the other 2 go between the swingarm & frame.Bearing side to the swingarm, so you can get grease into them during maintenence. Allways pre- grease before installing, making sure you get plenty into the bearing housing. Also make sure that the swingarm 'tube' is really clean & straight, no burrs inside to cause binding. A half-round file will 'clean up' any surface roughness, just go easy, don't want to remove too much & make it un-even.

Here's my question. The set came with two thrust washers (apparently bearings of some sort built into them) and two sets, four individual, needle bearings cages. Two will obviously fit into the swing arm. There's no other place I can see to use the other two. Are they spares? Are there two bearings pressed into each side of the swingarm.

Yeah, been a long while since I did mine, 2 rollers are around as long as 1 bush aren't they?

Part #28-1011 on Mike's site clearly shows four of the needle bearings. I've already dug out the old plastic bushings so I don't know how long they were. Anybody?

So, two bearings back to back on each side...probably with the sleeved side facing the outside of the swing arm all the way around?
BTW...if a put a zerk fitting in the swing arm do I just fill it with grease? I suppose there's not that much space once the spacer, bearings etc. are in there.

The swing arm bolt already is drilled and should have fittings on each end. You can put in more fittings if you want, but the important thing is to make sure that you grease the rollers before you install them. That way you know they are godd from the start. Then grease after the install is complete.:thumbsup:

Back