How does this look?

The engine is a '76. I watched a video showing me that I needed to put nylon screws on the "brushes" plural I meant to say.. telling me that they do not need to be grounded out using this rec/reg.

I don't know what video you watched, but you don't use nylon screws with the #24-2089 rec/reg that you show. The 3 nylon screws should be removed, and put back the original 3 steel screws. Those 3 terminals are to be grounded to the stator frame.

The only time you would use the nylon screws, is if you are using an 80 to 83 type rec/reg with a 70 to 79 type alternator.

heres the clip i was talkin about showing me to use the nylon screws on the brushes

That's an excellent video, but did you read the caption below the video?
"Here is the final video showing viewers how to wire up a points motor with a tci combo regulator rectifier. It's really simple and I tried to make my video very straight forward an as detailed as possible in a 1o minute window. So... learn how to wire your xs650 bobber, chopper, custom stator/rotor charging system. Enjoy!"

His video is for those using a tci (1980 to 83) combo regulator rectifier......................you don't have one of those. You have the combo rec/reg for points bikes 1970 to 1979. They are not the same.

sorry bout those crazy few post tht were kinda just thrown in there. and thank you for pointing that out. so the metal screws go back in.. got it!

Retiredgentleman, dont mean to bring up an old thread but if I'm running pretty much this exact setup then why is this saying I need to use nylon screws? Is it because of the type of reg/rec I am using?

Attachments

• noid-chopperwiringdiagram.jpg
    noid-chopperwiringdiagram.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 119
So here's what I've come up with.. On a '76 xs650 running only a headlight with on/off switch, brake light, kick start only with points. Using Mikesxs solid state Reg/Rec. Analyze this and please tell me whats wrong.. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram.png
    Wiring Diagram.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 122
Retiredgentleman, dont mean to bring up an old thread but if I'm running pretty much this exact setup then why is this saying I need to use nylon screws? Is it because of the type of reg/rec I am using?

You are not running the exact set-up.
That diagram from chopper.com just mentions a "combo rec/reg", as if there is only 1 combo rec/reg. However, that is not now true. At one time in the past, it may have been true. They refer to the 1980 to 83 rec/reg. Several manufacturers starting making a combo rec/reg for the 1970 to 1979 bikes, and guess what.................they are not the same electrically as the 80 to 83 type.

Whenever someone refers to a combo rec/reg, it is meaningless unless they say what years they are referring to.

Last edited:
So here's what I've come up with.. On a '76 xs650 running only a headlight with on/off switch, brake light, kick start only with points. Using Mikesxs solid state Reg/Rec. Analyze this and please tell me whats wrong.. Thanks in advance!

Everthing looks good except for one small thing. You should move the blue wire from the left side of that fuse to the right side of the fuse. In other words the blue gets connected to the brown wire coming out of the ignition switch. In that way, if the headlight fuse blows, you won't lose the voltage sensing to the rec/reg.

Can someone draw in real quick where I need to run the two wires from my front brake light switch to in this diagram?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 124
Can someone draw in real quick where I need to run the two wires from my front brake light switch to in this diagram?

The diagram already shows the brake light switch. Power comes from the fuse to one side of the switch. The other side of the switch is wired to the brake light itself.

If you have both a front and a rear brake switch, then the 2 switches are wired in parallel.

Back