How hot can it get?

Gcraay

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I have this crazy idea about changing the colors of the Yamaha on my side cover. The big ones. It started with a chip out of the Y, and after finding out what I thought was paint wasn't, I took a dremel to the letters and dug it all out. Most people say hand paint them back, I want white, but I cant seem to get the entire inside smooth.

So what I have devised is using a product called "Makit Bakit". Its used for making these suncatcher window decorations. I've tested some out on a spare small cover, other side over the strator. And it seems to work decent.

my question is, do you think I could bake the side cover at 375 for 15 to 25 min without warping the cover? Im using the white which is supposed to melt quicker so the 15 may do it.

It will level out and given Im back painting them white will hopefully leave a smooth glass like finish and actually fill in the letters somewhat deap.

Unless someone can tell me what Yamaha used, its definitely not paint. Maybe I can find it in white.

Please help, this is driving me crazy. :banghead:

At that temperature, metal inserts usually fall out, but the cover will be okay. Right now, the only insert I can think of is the kickstart bushing. I'd figure a way to retain it somehow, maybe with wire?

I'm not a paint guy per say, but any kind of enamel? Also could I go somewhat thick? I won't be able to get the inside smooth enough to just paint.
The stuff I took out was kind of thick, and was surely not paint. It smelled like burning plastic or rubber when I removed it.

I think something like Testers enamel or there are some colored epoxy resins. Do a search for color fill or soft enamel color fill. Just load up a syringe and fill the spaces. Soft enamels should shrink down in a bit I think. I looked up info a few years back because I wanted to color fill some pewter badges I was trying to make. I kept scorching my molds so I didn't get real far with it but I don't think it really takes special products. Maybe something from the hobby store or I think they use it in jewelry making.

Back