How many circlips on drive shaft?

n1vsm

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Tearing down & rebuilding a barn find XS650E.

Looking at the drive shaft, I found only one "circlip" (p/n 168-17424-00-00) on the bearing on the drive sprocket side. This clip looks like a half-circle piston ring. In all of the manuals I've found, it calls for only one of these. If you're looking at the D/E/F transmission exploded diagram, it is part #25.

BUT, there is a channel in both the upper & lower case, leading me to wonder if there should be 2 of these clips, each 1/2 circle.

Can you shed some light on (1) whether there *really* is only supposed to be 1 of these clips there, and (2) what's the "logic" behind only having what seems like half a clip??

Ok, I think you mean crank shaft, not drive shaft. A drive shaft is someting used on other bikes, not the XS650.
Yes, just one clip for the bearing. The groove is in both the upper and lower case so it can be put in either case half. Most people put it in the upper case when installing the crank. It is used to hold the bearing from moving sideways in the cases. The ball bearing is used to maintain the side to side play of the crank.
Leo

when they machined the cases they are bolted together for the work, the cutter cuts the slot in both case halves at the same time/machining operation

Great - thanks. I guess I can stop looking for the "other" one now.

I just ran into this bit of terror last night, as I was laying out parts to button up the cases.

Kinda freaked me out, and instantly went into detective mode. Glad there's just one, and I didn't lose something!

When installing the cases back together, the clip goes in both halves, i know. does it matter if its at the front or back of engine? Or does it matter as long as it's in both. Just had to ask.

Back