how much oil and what type?

Found this for a bit of info

Attachments

• 190010.JPG
    190010.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 325
Just to let you know, Amsoil has out preformed Royal Purple for many years. It has out performed many Synthetic oils. Go to Royal Purples website, they offer no Test Results. Go to my website or Amsoil.com look at any of our products we show the test results,Amsoil uses a third party tester. The last i knew, Royal Purple hasnt even updated their oil rating. The only other Synthetic oil on the market that even comes close to out performing Amsoil is Mobile One, but they dont have other part of equation= their own filter. Amsoil offers a filter that filters out particials down below 5 microns.Our motorcycle oil is wet clutch compatible.Chech us out, bntsynthetics.com, Thank you

I went to your website but couldn't find any filters listed for my '83 XS650. If you're pitching products in an XS650 forum then I would think you would actually have a suitable product. There was, however, a listing for the XS400.

Also, has Amsol retested their formula since 2010 when the Feds ordered the removal of ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate, containing both Zinc and Phosphorus) from domestic motor oil? It is generally believed that engines without roller lifters, ie, XS650 Yamahas, will not stand up to motor oils that don't contain ZDDP. Does Amsol still contain ZDDP in violation of Federal law or have Amsol's makers found a substitute, and if so have they published a white paper dated later than 2010?

ZDDP is only reduced big time in oils with "energy conserving" in the logo on the back of the bottle. Any 40 or 50 will still have ZDDP. Weights like 20 and 30 will have far less of it...if any. It kills catalytic converters. If Amsoil is reccomended by Ducati for my 999 with Desmo valve train, i wouldn't hesitate to use it my XS650.

Or, if your that worried about needing higher levels you buy ZDDP plus and add it to the oil when you do a change.

ZDDP is only reduced big time in oils with "energy conserving" in the logo on the back of the bottle. Any 40 or 50 will still have ZDDP. Weights like 20 and 30 will have far less of it...if any. It kills catalytic converters. If Amsoil is reccomended by Ducati for my 999 with Desmo valve train, i wouldn't hesitate to use it my XS650.

Or, if your that worried about needing higher levels you buy ZDDP plus and add it to the oil when you do a change.

From what I can tell, there is less risk of wear and failure to a Desmo Valve Train than to more conventional valve trains-- hence the reason Ducati is using the Desmo Valve Train in the first place. So yes, Amsol would be a great product for use in your Ducati but not necessarily in an XS650.

still lots of ZDDP needed as there is 16 openers and closers on a 4v hammering the shit out of the oil. The lobes of the cam still hit rocker arms (except more of them) the same way the XS does. Minus a spring to pull the valve closed.

I'd imagine they still will chew up oil pretty good as they arent shim under like japanese bikes. Desmo was used because of poor valve spring construction back in the day. Technology is good enough that it really isn't even needed now. But they have gotten so good at it.

article2_Bluming_desmo_8x6_ducati.jpg

Many also say not to use car oils because the slippery additives can make your wet clutch slip. Those additives are also only added to the "Energy Conserving" thinner weights. They're not present in the 40 and 50 wt. stuff. I've used them for many years in my wet clutch bikes without any slipping problems. I'm currently using the Walmart brand of 20-50 in my 650 and I think it's pretty good. The guy at the check-out counter told me Mobile makes it for them. I buy the 5 quart jug and get 2 oil changes out of it.

Huh, I'm gonna try that. The guy next to my store, who rebuilds boat engines, uses the Wal-Mart and says it works fine. Kinda like the gas stations here. The same truck fills the Shell, then goes to BP, then to Valero.

still lots of ZDDP needed as there is 16 openers and closers on a 4v hammering the shit out of the oil. The lobes of the cam still hit rocker arms (except more of them) the same way the XS does. Minus a spring to pull the valve closed.

I'd imagine they still will chew up oil pretty good as they arent shim under like japanese bikes. Desmo was used because of poor valve spring construction back in the day. Technology is good enough that it really isn't even needed now. But they have gotten so good at it.

article2_Bluming_desmo_8x6_ducati.jpg

But what I think you're missing is it is the valve spring that isn't found on the Desmo, that is what is responsible for the extra wear on the tappets and valve stems.

Hello ReycleBill, if you could give your filter number, i will cross the number and see what we offer for your filter. Im sure we have a filter that will work in your 83 xs. Thank you for your interest.As far as test results, Amsoil keeps up on Federal guide lines and laws.

Hello ReycleBill, if you could give your filter number, i will cross the number and see what we offer for your filter. Im sure we have a filter that will work in your 83 xs. Thank you for your interest.As far as test results, Amsoil keeps up on Federal guide lines and laws.

Do AMSOL's motorcycle oils contain ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate) ?

If not, has Amsol found a replacement for Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate and what is that replacement called?

Has Amsol published a white paper on motorcycle oils that do not contain Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate?

The OEM# for all Yamaha XS650s is 256-13441-00 Do you have such a filter and what is Amsol's part number for that filter?

Hello Reycle Bill, Amsoil motorcycle oil has contain a small amount of ZDDP in the motorcycle oil. And yes we have found replacements for ZDDP. I spoke with amsoil tech, that info is not available to me. Our motorcycle oil is formulated for each application, we offer a products for vintage cars with the formulation specifically for those applications.Bottom line is, our products are specially formulated for each application.And
formulated by the api and oem requirements. If you have any concerns call the tech line at (715) 399-8324

Back