How tall is an xs motor.

srinath

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
My only xs motor right now is the one lying in 300 pieces on my garage floor.

So I am hoping to get myself an answer before getting too far into the project.

How tall is the XS motor from the lower engine mount bolt (just behind the side stand) to the top of the motor - not the brackets etc etc that bolt the head to the frame, just the motor.

I am hoping to stuff it into another frame which obviously is smaller than the xs frame in terms of engine bay height.
Thanks in advance guys.

Cool.
Srinath.

I've got one here in my kitchen on an engine stand..20" from centre of bottom mount to top of the oil pipe bango bolts

xs 61 it's kind of like when someone ask President Abe Lincoln how long a mans legs should be (Lincoln was a tall fella for his day and age, 6 feet 4 inches /1.93 m) he replied at least long enough to reach the ground, so don't know if you should throw in stand height too or not :laugh:

Guys ... thanks so much xs1961, but the rest of you ... way to complicate a simple question.
So with a feeler guage and a can opener I should be able to squeeze it in.
Cool.
Srinath.

Ha RG. :D
It is getting a bit greasy from cooking oil in the air..Now summers here I'll lug it out into the shed.:)

ahh i remember when i had my engine on the kitchen table, waking up every morning to the smell of an old ass dirty engine - nothing better.

Yeah, agreed. I heaved it in here from my patio last October because it was pissing down with rain ..Somehow it just looked 'right' standing between the microwave & the mug rack.. I have to keep telling Mrs.'61 Its actually a piece of art , much nicer to look at than her stupid fridge magnets & 'art-deco' tiered fruit basket!
I suppose its about time I plonked it into a frame....

I had a roomate (for a very short while) in the barracks at Nellis AFB back in '77-'78 who didn't like the smell of my '60 something Honda CB77 engine in the extra locker. The nerve of him!! Whatta wuss. LOL!!

XS1961;

You have a very understanding wife.......................if I brought an engine into the kitchen, my wife would put me on a steady diet of hot tongue and cold shoulder:D

Its is a very clean rebuilt motor..
Shes pretty good about it really & shes loves XS's, we're back up to the Isle of Man on it this year .
I got round it really by convincing her as soon as Ive got a couple of 650's up and running I'll sell the Intruder - she hates that bike :shrug:
PS the motors now back on the patio by the back door :wink2:

XS1961;

Riding an XS650 to the Isle of Man...............wow, sounds like motorcycle heaven to me! How far is that on land and how far by ferry? I suppose motels are super expensive during the annual racing period? Is there camping? Do they usually have good weather?

175 miles to the ferry, 85 miles (3 hours) on the ferry. I pay £17-£20 per night bed & breakfast or stay for free with friends who live there :thumbsup:
Dozens of campsites from £1 per pitch per night.
rains about 50% of the time though it tends to be better weather at the end of August for the Manx Grand Prix (which I prefer over the TT these days. )

Back