How the XJ Seca turned out

MrYeats

MrYeats
Reaction score
I am just about done with this 83 xj550 Seca. It is pretty much all original. I still have to install the pods, tune the carbs, and bleed the brake...Then I need to figure out how to install the fairing..

Attachments

• XJ 2.JPG
    XJ 2.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 289
  • XJ 4.JPG
    XJ 4.JPG
    279.5 KB · Views: 250
  • XJ 3.JPG
    XJ 3.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 235
  • XJ 9.JPG
    XJ 9.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 241
The pods went on today and she cranked right up. Though the idle is at about 4k, she sounds healthy...Next week I go to Yamaha and let them set the carbs....Getting real close!

im not sure any guys at yamaha would even know how to work on a bike that old. i remember them from back in the day and am thinking they the same as the maxim.engine wise.good luck

four carbs .....Ide hand it over to a pro too. looks good though.
Although, crinkle black would look great on that engine.

It will be on the market once it is going right. Of course, I will have to take it around the block first.:D

It will be on the market once it is going right. Of course, I will have to take it around the block first.:D

Hi MrYeats,
it wouldn't be right to sell a bike until you'd ridden it to make sure it ran well.
Um, how big of a block would that be?

Here ya go, Fred. The 'official' map we use down here. Should give you an idea of MrYeats Corpus Christi neighborhood block size. I figure it could be done in a day or so...

Attachments

• TexasMap.jpg
    TexasMap.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 216
I suggest you peruse some of the 4 cylinder forums before taking the bike to a shop with pods on it. What you'll find on those forums is that they do not support the use of pods on CV equipped fours. In fact, many of them won't even answer carb tuning questions if you've installed pods. Sure, the shop will "tune" your carbs and take your $100, but the bike probably won't run much better than it does now when you get it back. It can be difficult to properly tune our twins with pods. Apparently it's darn near impossible on a four.

Yup, darn near ampussable

The issue is that cv carbs require still air from which to draw from. Bike manufacturers go to great lengths to design air boxes to provide still air for the carbs even at high rpm, road speeds and throttle openings.

Individual pod type air filters work fine on slide carbs but not on cv carbs.

Best advice: put the air box back on and fit a high flow air filter in the airbox if you must. Then have the carbs balanced.

Seems to me, this pod filter thing is all about capturing the "racing" look, and owners gladly suffer with poor engine operation, in order to have the racing look.

Similar to shaving forks and/or removing the front brake. Owners don't want to hear about a loss of performance or loss of safety, they just want that certain look at all costs.

Not surprisingly, air boxes designed and tested by engineers, work extremely well on these bikes with CV carbs.

I agree with 5twins. Taking an old bike to a Yamaha dealer, for a carb tuning, will almost certainly end up being a disappointment. Those young techs that work there are trained on fuel injection and computer controlled ignition. They are "parts changers", not tuners or repairers. When an engine doesn't run well, they just sell you new parts.................that's the way the shop manager likes it to maximize profits.

It seems the tech I took my bike to is all too familiar with my situation. He is not young and stupid and would probably take offense to anyone assuming he did not know his business. I guess I will remain one of these outsider types that goes against the grain of what is "acceptable" in this community. I guess some call it thinking "outside the box".
I do respect the views of others and a good slam is always called for or so it seems. Why not temper the remarks of how screwed up a guy is by at least commenting in some positive way as well, like "Gee, your bike looks good and good luck on your venture". Or something of that nature instead of just leaving a fellow to feel like a true idiot for daring to go against that grain....

It seems the tech I took my bike to is all too familiar with my situation. He is not young and stupid and would probably take offense to anyone assuming he did not know his business. I guess I will remain one of these outsider types that goes against the grain of what is "acceptable" in this community. I guess some call it thinking "outside the box".
I do respect the views of others and a good slam is always called for or so it seems. Why not temper the remarks of how screwed up a guy is by at least commenting in some positive way as well, like "Gee, your bike looks good and good luck on your venture". Or something of that nature instead of just leaving a fellow to feel like a true idiot for daring to go against that grain....

You are not going "against the grain" when you install pod filters (on an XS650). A large majority of bikes on this site use pod filters, That's usually the first thing they do when they buy an old XS650, to get that "racing" look. Scrap yards must be full of air boxes

Now, daring to use the stock air box on your bike, that would put you in the contrarian, radical, minority group for this site.

Good fortune is on your side, if you've found an experienced mechanic that knows how to work on carbs. You should end up with a smooth running engine.

Perhaps it would be wise to visit some of the 4 cylinder sites, as 5twins suggested.

I go get the bike on Tuesday. It runs very well now according to the shop. I cant wait to go around that block!

I had the same bike once. I traded a computer for it, then traded it for a computer.

Got it back today and it sounds great. Starts, Idles, runs thru the rpm range and back down again. Really tight...Cant wait to ride it.

Back