How tight should the pivot tube be in swing arm bushing?

xsdrew

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I know this has been covered over and over again... But, I'm just looking for clarification on one point:

How tight should the pivot tube fit in the swing arm bushings? Should I be able to rotate it by hand?

I bought new brass bushings from xs650 direct, and although the pivot tube fit perfect before I installed them, they were way too tight by the time they were pressed in. Also, the lip was too thick and the pivot tube was actually inside the bushings about 60 thou. So, I filed down the lips flat and set the free play at about 25 thou and used a small brake hone to enlarge the bushings for the pivot tube.

I obliviously don't want to take off too much material, so at the moment I can insert the pivot tube on one side by hand and rotate it by hand, but in order for it to get through the second bushing I use a rubber mallet. Its too tight to rotate (nothing to grip to) and insert by hand once its through both bushings. What do you think? Will it wear in or should I hone it out more?

It should be a snug slip fit.
You can slide it in from one end but need a mallet to get it through the second side. Is it the same going from the other side or swap ends of the pivot shaft.
Using a brake cylinder hone is ok but as you found out not ideal. It may get them both the right size but may not be exactly in line.
It's best to line bore the bushes. That way they line up as well as be the right size.
I might take a bit more out with your hone. If you can slide the pivot shaft in from the drive side till it alomst touches the brake side, then look at the way the shaft lines up. Maybe you can flex the hone a bit to get trhe hole to line up a bit better. If one side is a touch loose then it should be the side that less stress. The brake side, the drive side gets more stress with accelerating, engine braking as well as the brakes. The brake side gets most of it's stress on braking.
Yes it will were in some. Once the pivot bolt is tight the frame clamps onto the pivot shaft holding it in place so the bushes and swing arm pivot around the pivot shaft.
From all the issues others have had I feel lucky mine went easy. No adjustments needed.
Leo

Back