How to Insure Bike without Odometer?

MF HectoOR

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm new to the motorcycle world. :shrug:

I recently inquired a sweet modified 83 xs650 bobber/chopper, hardtailed, clean CA Title & registered. I have a title with matching frame although engine number doesn't match the title. Moving on...

I got the bike transferred to my name with no hitch even though the odometer reading was left blank since the mileage is not know nor does the bike have any gauges.

Now all i have left to do is insure the bike. I currently tried adding the bike to my AAA insurance policy but was told the bike could not be insured until a odometer reading is given so annual mileage is tracked.

How do the bobber/chopper riders get around this since i usually always see them with no gauges?:doh:

Attachments

• yami001.jpg
    yami001.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 149
That a weird request from an insurance company.....either a company thing or a Cali thing and definitely NOT the norm.

Ive insured everything with wheels - never once had any of my insurance companies ask for an odometer reading.

Ive used several companies throughout the years.

I guess you could stick a new odometer on it and tell them 0 miles......but Im thinking Id call Progressive......my bike policy is $75 a year.....and they dont ask for no stinkin' mileage.

Here in Washington, anything over 10 years old or 100k miles is exempt from odometer statements... so ask them wtf they do in our state up here? lol...

Thanks guys i'll go ahead and try to get a different insurance company for the bike is guess. Hopefully will be cheaper as well.

btw: I wouldn't even know where to start to hook a speedometer/odometer up. I'm sure the mechanism they hook up too has been removed. Thanks guys.

I've always been ask my odometer reading. They want to how often it's be on the road. Just lie. You don't have to take it in.

Cute. Let's just lie to the insurance company. Let's then have an accident and see how cooperative the insurance company is. In extreme cases, they do have to pay for covered losses, but they can also come back at you for insurance fraud and collect whatever they paid out from you. They probably won't do this for something minor, but a serious accident with serious injuries and serious money on the table, they will. :eek:

You may find another insurance company that doesn't require an odometer, but they all ask the trick question, "Has this motorcycle been modified?" :doh:

Or, as Sir Walter Scott would say..."O, what a tangled web we weave when we practice to decieve" :D

If your insurance company doesn't require mileage at this time, they will eventually.
It isn't the insurance companies decision but brought to you by those well intentioned talking heads who have nothing else to sell but their concern over your well being.
And for some mysterious reason they will be concerned you don't have a speedo.

Why? It would be 100% profit if they don't pay for a claim. Do they pay claims for unlicensed drivers?

Why? It would be 100% profit if they don't pay for a claim. Do they pay claims for unlicensed drivers?

Well, the insurance companies are bound by law to pay for damages to others covered by your policy. They can then sue you to recover their costs if you misrepresented yourself (lied) on the application. If your circumstances change after they have issued the policy, then they still have to pay the claim but would have no recourse to collect from you unless you then lied on the renewal application.

As far as not having a license is concerned, that would probably depend on whether you had a license and lost it or never had one. In other words, having a license doesn't necessarily mean that you know how to drive, but never having had one could mean that you do not even know the rules of the road, such as they are. Most people who are involved in vehicle accidents have a license.

They want to know how often you ride or drive. How often it'll be on the road. Not against the law to remove a odometer later. I wouldn't worry about it. At least not in Oregon. It's a custom bike I'm sure the see changes all the time. Insurance can't back out the most the could do is value the bike less.

MF HectoOR

try this guy

c.diamond insurance agency license #812281
5538 long beach blvd.
long beach, ca 90605 1800-619-0999 or 562-428-4995

also guys in so cal looking to get my first xs650 let me know whats out there in so cal.

If you made up an odometer reading they would never know. They couldn't prove there wasn't an odometer on it when you gave them the reading.

And if there was a big wreck and it all went before a judge he wouldn't think the odometer was relevant to anything anyway.

But I agree you should look for a more polite insurance company.

If you made up an odometer reading they would never know. They couldn't prove there wasn't an odometer on it when you gave them the reading.

And if there was a big wreck and it all went before a judge he wouldn't think the odometer was relevant to anything anyway.

Well, if you don't have an odometer, that probably means you don't have a speedometer either, and the judge would probably want to know how fast you were going when you ran into that kid in the stroller...:eek:

Back