How to Insure Bike without Odometer?

what makes you say no odometer means no speedometer? that doesnt make any sense. i see what youre saying, but that doesnt mean theirs no speedometer...

Well, if you don't have an odometer, that probably means you don't have a speedometer either, and the judge would probably want to know how fast you were going when you ran into that kid in the stroller...:eek:

Tell the judge you were going 25, same as you would if you had a speedometer ;)

You could say whatever you want to them but when the insurance investigators tell the jury that they could not locate a speedometer/odometer on the bike or in the vicinity of the burned out school bus, you are going to have a problem. Try Geico, they give me a good rate while the bike is in the garage and didn't ask me for the mileage, but as soon as it is finished and running, I too will be looking for a different insurance carrier because as Pete said, they always ask if the vehicle has been modified.

^I doubt they'd look for a speedometer. But the defense would just be it's not required by law, unless it is, in which case it's a different hypothetical situation and you'd better have one for that new reason.

xjwmx,

Well, if it's a serious accident and it ends up in court it will probably be a jury trial. So when the prosecutor asks "How fast were you going when you hit that little old lady in her wheelchair, and you answer "Only 12 miles an hour" and the followup question is "How do you know how fast you were going without a speedometer?" and you answer in your best smart ass voice "speedometers are not legally required in this state" I don't think that the jury will be sympathetic.

Same with helmet laws. If you are a vegetable because you smashed your head on the pavement and your family is trying to collect from the other party because you can no longer put a complete sentence together, the jury is not going to buy the "helmets are not required by law in this state" crap.

Helmets and speedometers are available for motorcycles, that's all that matters.

California requires you to have some way to measure your speed. Get a speedometer with an odometer and you are set.
Gawd Damnit, where's the fun in that? We were just building up to planet smashing asteroidal impact and we all would have been saved if the asteroid had an odometer.
Thanks for the fun, Tony. Thanks a heap :mad:

Pete, my point was the judge, being sharper than you are appearing to be, is going to realize that you could say to him any speed you wanted to say, whether you had a speedometer or not. He's not going to rely on you for that information! So why would he even ask that question?

On the other hand if a speedometer was required by law, then somebody might figure out a way to hang his hat on that.

For a few bucks at Mikes you be all set and when your riding through that school zone with the cop behind you might not get a ticket.

:doh:
Pete, my point was the judge, being sharper than you are appearing to be, is going to realize that you could say to him any speed you wanted to say, whether you had a speedometer or not. He's not going to rely on you for that information! So why would he even ask that question?

On the other hand if a speedometer was required by law, then somebody might figure out a way to hang his hat on that.

Maybe the judge is sharper than either of us because it wouldn't matter what your answer was regarding how fast you were going, it's the followup question that bites. In any event, it's not the judge that asks the questions, its the prosecutor, and he can't ask the followup question without asking you how fast you were going first. That's why it's called a follow up question. :doh:

Last edited:
it's the followup question that bites.

You're picturing a prosecutor who's more interested in tripping you up than anything else. The followup answer is "The law doesn't require me to have a speedometer, yet the good prosecutor does." If people still don;t get it then say by not requiring me to have a speedometer the law acknowledges that I can estimate my speed accurately enough without one.

The actual truth, which is going to be a lot more effective than some strategic play. In my experience.

This must be a CALI thing Weird. Never had I had a insurance company ask proof of miles. Was in three motorcycle accidents and one went to court and NEVER did a judge or anyone ask how many miles I had on bike. They new how fast I was going by skid marks. Any bike I owned that I told DMV I had no idea of miles they put 99999 on title. I think after 10 year old bike it doesn't matter. I was a HONDA DEALER outside Philly and you could buy a bike from me tow it home and never had to show me insurance. Its only been maybe 20 yrs that you cannot pick the bike up unless you show a license . CALI does have some strange rules. There is not even NO INSPECTION in NJ no more so you could ride a death trap and nobody would no. You could go by a speedo and it 50/50 if the one on your bike is correct. What laws are they going to throw at the bike world now.

You're picturing a prosecutor who's more interested in tripping you up than anything else. The followup answer is "The law doesn't require me to have a speedometer, yet the good prosecutor does." If people still don;t get it then say by not requiring me to have a speedometer the law acknowledges that I can estimate my speed accurately enough without one.

The actual truth, which is going to be a lot more effective than some strategic play. In my experience.

Like I said before. Be sure to use your most effective smart ass voice when you answer with that. Juries just love smart asses. :laugh: Judges even more so...

Insurance companies like to do nothing but attempt to screw you over when you need them, so why not give them a little taste of their own magic. And when the prosecutor asks how fast you were going and how you know you tell him the same way cops "know" you're speeding when they don't even have radar.....you're a wizard.

I think you guys are watching too much TV. I understand that maybe a insurance company may ask for miles on bike. Accidents are handled in small claims court unless you killed someone and I never had a prosecutor ask anything. Maybe I didn't do enough damage. I have been in court for other things and they can ask you questions so can the judge its all written down before you go in part of the case. So I don't get your point of tripping you up. I am lost HAHA ... From yes you need a spedo in CAL to you are going to be questioned and tripped up by a prosecutor??????????
Insurance companies are the biggest rip off and if you tell them one little white lie they have already lied to you double that. OK I am out this is getting weird
HAVE A GOOD NITE....

Back