how to remove fork lock for painting

jeflon

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am taking my 75 to be powder coated and noticed a fork lock on the stem. Is there a way to remove this without a key. I would like to remove it since the cover will be in the way when coating.

The cover is held in with what looks like a splined nail. Open the cover and use a flat screwdriver to pry the "nail" out. The cover holds the cylinder in, once the cover is off the cylinder slides out.
Leo

That is not what I would have thought. The parts diagram calls it a rivet there fore my approach would have been to grind the head off and drill the slug. That all been said how did it go for you XSLeo and Jeflon. Thread is 5 years old

Five years old but, Im pretty sure you still need the key to remove the tumbler once you take the rivet out and cover off.

Last edited:
It’s like a pin with threads. You can pry it out a little then get a pair of vise grips on it and screw it out. They are still available from Yamaha last I checked. You can just tap the new one in with a small hammer.

Last edited:
Yes, you can just pry the "nail" out. It's not really threaded, it's got swirled grooves on it. Here's a good picture of it .....

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/90269-04003-00?ref=1fdfc27ca7ff35afe0a6c23f39f90cc76741663a

You must remove the cover to get the lock out. It covers part of it so it won't slide out. But you also need to have the lock "open" or it won't slide out. That means you need a key or you have to "pick" it. I've liberated several from junk bikes without keys. The ones I was able to "pick" then slid right out. The others required more brutal tactics, lol .....

vbhzGv2.png

This was on junk parts bikes so I didn't mind cutting it up. Obviously you wouldn't want to go this route on a good bike you're fixing up. If you don't have a key, get yourself a set of these "jiggler" keys and keep at it until you succeed ....

3mKXM3w.jpg

The rivet is still available from Yamaha. I have several of the covers if you need one. And if you screw up the hole and to big for the rivet ,just use a piece of 14 or 12 gauge solid copper wire the depth of the hole to tighten it up

The rivet is still available from Yamaha. I have several of the covers if you need one. And if you screw up the hole and to big for the rivet ,just use a piece of 14 or 12 gauge solid copper wire the depth of the hole to tighten it up
Cover was easy pizzie coming out. Don’t have the key so ordered jiggle keys. Probably try a arm load of spare keys that I have collected over the years in the mean time. Kind of wanted to take frame to powder painter next week. Thanks all for the help

Just a little info for when you get the jiggler keys. In the "locked" or closed position, the key slot will be horizontal .....

UEbYm22.png

To "unlock" or open it, turn the key to the left or counterclockwise. It doesn't rotate much, only about 45°. So, say the key slot is pointing towards 3 o'clock when "locked". It will point towards about 1:30 when open or "unlocked".

BFE31DF3-F055-4B91-A7CD-E47CAA655063.png
So this is the lock they are still available if want to get a new one. All depends on my level of detail. Would be nice to save original if I can. The pin on the upper left of the cylinder is the keeper and from what I understand it would withdraw once the key is inserted or the cylinder is turned more likely. The jigglers are a month away so still planning on painting soon

That's a little different looking than the ones I've seen, but the concept is the same. The ones I've dealt with have a roll pin of sorts. You yank it out with pliers to get the lock cylinder out of the housing .....

PeFoTPD.png

Yes, with the lock in the open or "unlocked" position, the roll pin aligns with the boss on the housing and the assembly can be slid in and out of the neck .....

ohzGVHj.png

With it closed or "locked", the pin is off to the side and holds the assembly in the neck .....

hUs2Euh.png

It fits into one of those grooves you can see in the cut open frame part picture I posted above (post #10).

Yes, but I feel they're way over-priced considering what they are. That's why I scrounge them, lol. Last trip to my dealer's boneyard netted me 3 along with a handful of other small parts (float bowl drain bolts, XS400 1L9 worm) for $20. They were used on many other models besides the 650 so are relatively easy to run across. I'll be going back this spring before the weeds grow in to see what else I can find, lol.

Back