How to remove oil pump driven gear

jdizon

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Trying to remove the oil pump driven gear from the Right side engine cover but having a hell of time figuring out how to remove the nut as the shaft rotates with it. Any ideas gurus? I don't want to damage the gear.

xs650oilpump.JPG

OilPump.jpg

Cut up a milk carton and use the pieces to block between the teeth and case housing?
A piece of inner tube and channel locks?
If it takes more umph than that try an impact.

I got it removed now. I used a long allen wrench that fit snug between the driven gear teeth and used it to stop the gear from moving. Worked like a charm and no damage to gear. Picture attached.

full

I found a flat head screw driver that fit PERFECTLY between the teeth of the gear, then I put it in the teeth and butted it up against one of the oil passages, but anywhere you can wedge it would work just as well. The trick is a quick sharp tug with the ratchet while you've got the teeth bound up. Should come right off.

I found a flat head screw driver that fit PERFECTLY between the teeth of the gear, then I put it in the teeth and butted it up against one of the oil passages, but anywhere you can wedge it would work just as well. The trick is a quick sharp tug with the ratchet while you've got the teeth bound up. Should come right off.

Haha great minds think a like! Posted exactly the same time. I found a small Allen wrench that fit snug. Thanks for the response. Appreciate it

Just make sure that you don't loose the small wedge (5) that keeps the gear in place on the shaft. I first realized that it existed when I was putting it back togheter.

Just make sure that you don't loose the small wedge (5) that keeps the gear in place on the shaft. I first realized that it existed when I was putting it back togheter.

Thanks I'll remember that as I finish it up this evening. Just happy the nut came loose. Hope the housing and bolts come out as easy.

that wedge is a bitch to keep straight while you put the gear back on. use assembly grease to hold it. even then its a pita.

Taking the bolts off the oil pump was the biggest bitch! WTF were they thinking using bolts like that. I stripped the shit out of them. Going to replace them with hex or socket head cap screws.

that wedge is a bitch to keep straight while you put the gear back on. use assembly grease to hold it. even then its a pita.

A hand impact tool works great on bolts like that. The blow of the hammer seats the bit in the head of the bolt before it starts turning the bolt.
On the new bolts watch the clearance. If the head is too thick it can rub on the gear.
Leo

Thanks Leo! Good point on the clearance. The head on the bolts are a little bigger. I'll find out tonight when I re-install it. I bought one of these from HF and worked like a charm other than I had to go through a few different bit sizes + to get them out. http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html

A hand impact tool works great on bolts like that. The blow of the hammer seats the bit in the head of the bolt before it starts turning the bolt.
On the new bolts watch the clearance. If the head is too thick it can rub on the gear.
Leo

Yes, that's the one I just got. My old one never worked quite right. It wouldn't turn when you hit it. I did like the 1/2 drive adapter and used it with a rachet to turn screws.
I like the new one. The long bits increase it's usefullness. The lip around the top makes it a bit safer to use.
Leo

Don't have the top arrow on my oil pump to line up to. Gear fully spins assembled. Any issues I will come across not lining up arrows?
IMG_3956.jpg

Taking the bolts off the oil pump was the biggest bitch! WTF were they thinking using bolts like that. I stripped the shit out of them. Going to replace them with hex or socket head cap screws.

What size Phillips head were you using? A standard No. 2 Phillips would no doubt butcher the crossheads. I used a 6" screwdriver with No. 3 Phillips and they popped free - no problems, no damage. I probably got lucky and had intended to run out to buy a hand impact tool, but tried the No. 3 first and it worked out for me...

Last edited:
I don't recall if it was a #3 but it fit snug. I couldn't get it out without butchering the threads. I ended up using an impact tool from HF.

^I don't see it in the catalog at the moment, but I have a 1/4" drive impact from HF. I prefer it as a bike tool to the bigger one which I also have. Smaller with weaker spring and less clumsy feeling.

I ended up having to drill out two of the three screws. They were in there like a mofo. Number three came out after using a heating gun and some patience. Impact tool is your friend here

Back