How to remove rotor

borjawil

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so in my manual it says to use the special tool to remove rotor, shows the rotor puller mounted with the nut on the end. Also says the nut retains the rotor. does NOT say to remove the nut. Ive also read the thread on here where someone removed the rotor without removing the nut and the spline separated. Now my issue is I can get the nut off. it turns over the engine. I put it in first and it turns the wheel and the bike moves. Any ideas?

Use the tool or you'll end up with gunked up threads. Last time I checked the tool was.... $11 or so from MikesXS or 650Direct. Use an impact on the retaining nut or put the bike on the center stand, put it in 5th, and hold down the rear brake.

Part #35-0040

does that tool remove the nut? manual says i can use the specified tool or a 3 jaw puller. already got the 3 jaw special tool is on it way

Put a box end wrench on the nut, smack it with a hammer, works every time. Wait for the threaded puller............ I didn't, ONCE!:doh: WD or PB blast it now so it has soaked in by the time the puller shows up.

Ill second that , WD or PB blast it now & every day til you come to get it off, mine was really, really tight, even with the right puller. :banghead:
Turns out the PO or Yamaha had gone crazy with the thread lock, all over the taper & the thread :doh:
Came off eventually tho :)

As Classic said, hold the brake to get the nut loose. You need the nut off. On guy stripped the bolt on the puller because he left the nut on.
When you use the puller don't try to force the rotor off with just the puller. Snug the puller up tight then hit the end of the bolt with a hammer. This pops the rotor right off.
Leo

Back