how to set up an engine to start well as a kick only

mg4201

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am trying to start a build of an xs650 bobber. I live imn hamilton Ontario. Is there a specific way to set up a bike to make it one kick reliable. something to do with timing or other factors maybe? thanks in advance for your help. Oh yes i am also looking for a bike to build on thanks.

Yeah, get it running great. Pamco ignition and spot on timing doesn't hurt.

BJ's is spot on. Make sure your bike is running great. I rarely have to kick mine twice. Check out the tech section. Do all of the proper adjustments, and make sure your carbs are jetted properly for your bike. Digital ignition is nice, but not a must. Make sure your choke, petcocks, and entire fuel system in general is working properly.

With the engine off, ensure the bike is in neutral. In most cases, the clutch must be let out, or the kickstarter will not spin the engine. Sometimes, it can be helpful to give the kickstart lever a couple of kicks with the clutch engaged to ensure it's not jammed and to free sticky clutch plates. Turn on the fuel petcock. On some bikes you may need to close a choke and/or tickle (prime) the carburetor(s). Don't rest the bike on the sidestand while starting - sidestands aren't meant to take the punishment. If you don't feel comfortable both balancing and kicking, and your bike is equipped with a center stand, you can place it on that as centerstands are centrally placed and can take the abuse. (Just don't roll it off the stand while starting.). And, if your bike has an ignition switch, turn it on. Place your foot on the kickstarter. Use body weight rather than leg muscles to deliver a smart, rapid kick. If the lever is placed too high, you may want to engage the clutch and lower it a little before releasing and kicking. Generally speaking, a cold motorcycle should take no more than three kicks to start, a warm bike should take no more than two. More than that, it likely needs some sort of adjustment. End of copy paste......
I need to work on this! My weight is not in my favor.
Good luck

Hey, just finished my engine rebuild and tune for the first time. It Went well and starts in 1 to 3 kicks generaly. TDC and a timing light are key. The best thing of all is to visit this site daily and read all you can...... until your eyes bleed. Prety much every answer you are looking for is posted here somewhere.
I dont have her on the road yet (a month or so) but im in hamilton ontario also.

Cheers mate.

tesla do you have a line on another bike perhaps? I can't find anything but pristine show bikes and i want to build a bobber so I would prefer not to cut up a mint bike. Thanks in advance mg4201

PAMCO, PAMCO, PAMCO. If your bike is timed correctly and the carb is adjusted properly you should be good to go. Just finished fine tuning mine and it's a one kick bike when it's warmed up, two if it's not.

mg4201,

Here is a little chart that shows the results of a series of road tests that I did a couple of years ago using different coils and plugs. The tests were conducted with my '81/H, stock BS34's except for the 135 main jet. Test runs were on the same route of 70 miles round trip and the tank was filled at the same gas pump after each run.

iridium.jpg

You can see from the results that the gas mileage gets better with the 'Ultimate" coil, 17-6903 . Better gas mileage means that the engine is running more efficiently. More efficiency means more power as well.

pamcopete I should have been more clear with my question. what is the best choice of coil for a kick only bike to start easily. If this question is one that should have an obvious answer, then sorry but never had a bike where there were options like this. thanks in advance MG4201

mg4201,

The choice of coil for starting is not as big a factor for a kick only as it is for an electric start bike as the battery voltage is not pulled down during start with a kick only and that means that just about any coil will provide a good voltage for starting.

So, if starting is your main concern with the PAMCO and a kick only, I would recommend the 17-6822 coil that comes with the 14-0901 kit due to its lower cost and good everyday performance. This is for a kick only with a battery.

If you have a kick only with a PM alternator and a capacitor, then we are back to the 17-6903 coil because it has a higher spark voltage with the low voltage that you get when kicking a PMA.

Back