Hydraulic Clutch Conversion - Any Interest?

- The reading I have done here and at the Garage suggests that this mod can mitigate some of the annoyances that we suffer with from expansion rate of the case versus the actuator parts because there is some "built-in adjustability" in a hydro clutch. Is this your finding as well?

Good point.

FWIW, I know all of the single piston calipers I have had on my mountain bikes are self adjusting. They are really nothing more than a scaled down clutch slave with a back side to hold a brake pad.

I hope it works out because it is something I would definitely be interested in.
I'll be watching to see what kind of case mods will have to be done.
Good luck with your projects. You're doing good things. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yeah, what jims' said. Lots of props.
Case mods don't bother me (bigger balls than brains).
Planned on a re-phase this winter but.....next winter.
Keep it up Hugh

I had to delete my original post because the new hydraulic clutch is only a hydraulic cable, not the adjuster mechanism. While the hydraulic cable will auto adjust, the problem screw mechanism will be the same and the clutch may still drag when the bike gets hot. A true hydraulic clutch replaces the screw adjuster with a slave acting directly on the clutch rod. Still nice enough to eliminate cable drag but stock cable adjustment is super easy even on the go.

The problem with the XS650 is the clutch adjustment clearance increases when the cases get hot. No amount of cable adjustment will change this as it is clearance in the screw mechanism to rod issue. A hydrauilc clutch slave replacing the adjuster, like on a modern bike, will self adjust on the go to take up the clearance to almost zero. The clutch should disengage like it does cold.

Tom Graham

Last edited:
Here's a bitch for you chopper guys. Stop calling a Hand shift a Jockey shift. A jockey shift is where someone removed the nice stock shifter on an old Harley and attached a handle directly to the transmission. This meant the rider had to reach under his butt to shift the trans, kind of like a jockey whipping his mount.

Tom Graham

My favorite is "2 into 1 intake"

A Harley with four carbs??????
It is the generally accepted term no matter that it's bass ackwards.

Yeah 1 into 2 intake just doesn't sound right even though it may be. Do you go in the direction of flow or from the engine out like with exhausts?

iv wanted to do that to mine. but would also like to use remotes to clean up the bars. ex moto x er. dont like all the bulky stuf up top

Back