Hydraulic Clutch Conversion - Any Interest?

For you guys who want a foot clutch; I'm 57 years old and I've listened to people refer to a foot clutch as a "suicide" clutch for at least 40 of those years. Why on earth would you want a foot clutch? I understand wanting something unusual or different, but something that inherently makes the bike less safe to ride I just don't get. I guess this one gets chalked up to"Viva la difference."

DLD1

You ever owned a convertible? I don't understand why anyone would ride in a car that has been made to be less safe.. They do it b/c they want to.

You ever owned a convertible? I don't understand why anyone would ride in a car that has been made to be less safe.. They do it b/c they want to.

Good point, BigJimmy. Dumb on my part, I've raced go karts, sports cars, formula cars, drove roadsters, ridden many, many motorcycles, shot guns with no hearing protection, etc., etc.! What was I thinking!

DLD1

Good point, BigJimmy. Dumb on my part, I've raced go karts, sports cars, formula cars, drove roadsters, ridden many, many motorcycles, shot guns with no hearing protection, etc., etc.! What was I thinking!

DLD1

Lol. It happens. I don't have a handshifter. I have done it before, but I prefer not to mess with the foot clutch. If I ever do it again the clutch would be attached to the shifter. However, just saying there are plenty of other things that ppl do that are probably more dangerous.

For you guys who want a foot clutch; I'm 57 years old and I've listened to people refer to a foot clutch as a "suicide" clutch for at least 40 of those years. Why on earth would you want a foot clutch? I understand wanting something unusual or different, but something that inherently makes the bike less safe to ride I just don't get. I guess this one gets chalked up to"Viva la difference."

DLD1

all my hd's [7] have factory foot clutches except for 2, to me the difference is like a stick shift truck verses a automatic ... the automatic being the hand clutch bikes :bike:

Foot clutches came about to get rid of the "mousetrap" mechanism on the HD and Indian foot clutches. These allowed the clutch to stay engaged/disengaged, but had a lot of parts. Same for the jockey shift-it removed all the mechanism (considerable) required for the tank shift. The jockey shifter was just a short extension of the lever that came out of the ratchet top transmission underneath the seat. Someone already pointed out the reason it was called "jockey shift".

All that was done to strip down and simplify, the only reason to do it on a jap bike is "style" . That's OK, too, its your bike after all. :)

John

That's not a big job in fact, just need to find the master and the slave cylinders of a VFR750 clutch.
Make a hole for the slave cylinder :
http://www.loeil2fred.com/photo/13811-700-XTY-Usinage-carter-pour-pose-embrayage-hydraulique
Fix it to the case :
http://www.loeil2fred.com/photo/13810-700-XTY-Usinage-carter-pour-pose-embrayage-hydraulique
http://www.loeil2fred.com/photo/13815-700-XTY-Embrayage-hydraulique-avec-recepteur-Honda-750-VFR
And then you need to modify the length of the pushrod.

GPZ kawasaki, 2 hours and 6 beers...later models also allow you to have the slave cylinder inside the case

Ok gang, these are coming along VERY well. I'll have some spy photos for you in the next few days. Looks like I will be supplying a hydraulic line that you can custom cut to your own desired length and then use the supplied fittings to make it all work. Its looking very nice!

Hugh

I have been suffering for a long while with a very stiff clutch on my 75'xs750....so I would be very interested in this conversion...please let me know when you have it ready...thanks..

Hey gang, I'm looking at developing a Hydraulic Clutch Conversion for the XS650. It would be a bolt on affair, and I can probably build the entire system with a brand new master cylinder, hydraulic line and slave cylinder for about $120-140. I don't want to go much further with it if there isn't much interest of course, so let me know what you guys think :thumbsup:

I know for a fact I am going to develop a prototype and test it in the next few weeks, but I can order 10 or more of each part and save a ton of money per unit and make it affordable for us.

Hugh

Put my name on one!

Back