I Bought an XS! (76 XS650 by the new guy..)

Would you rather buy a bike ready to ride, or a project bike in need of work?

• Make your wallet cry, and build a project.

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Hop on and ride care free into the sunset.

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

G_YamTech_314

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all, I’m Greg! I picked up this beauty for $500 WITH title, and from the looks of the stock odometer (correct me if I’m wrong), only 8700 miles. The bike however, kinda seems a bit beat up to have that low of a reading. The key was badly worn, and worked when I bought it. Now it doesn’t. I took the ignition switch apart, and fiddled with the key slots. Managed to get it working again, the wiring behind my headlight is a DISASTER and has some snipped wires in there... only the right signals work, and they don’t blink. Only one of the carbs has a jet needle (slide needle), the tank is rusted BAD inside, But the compression is great, and I get good spark! Plus all the parts seem to be here (minus stock seat) it’s a work in progress, and a project on a tight budget, but I wanted to take some time to introduce myself, and see what kind of things people had to say about my very first road bike purchase. I’m still torn between cafe, or restoration... Time will tell!
36ED196F-F0C0-425E-9D80-0B5D661FA58F.jpeg

I’m still torn between cafe, or restoration... Time will tell!
First off, welcome to the forum!! You'll find this a great place for help and support.... some of the most knowledgeable XS people in the world hang out here.
Your bike looks to be a very desirable survivor. It's your bike to do with as you please... and people here will support you no matter what.... but it would be a shame to take a survivor and hack it up. You could Cafe it and still keep all the original parts to return it to original later.... provided you didn't take a Sawsall to it.
A restoration will take a wheelbarrow full of money. Don't ask me how I know... :rolleyes:
If it were me, I'd bring it back to running condition and call it a survivor.

And again, welcome.:)

First off, welcome to the forum!! You'll find this a great place for help and support.... some of the most knowledgeable XS people in the world hang out here.
Your bike looks to be a very desirable survivor. It's your bike to do with as you please... and people here will support you no matter what.... but it would be a shame to take a survivor and hack it up. You could Cafe it and still keep all the original parts to return it to original later.... provided you didn't take a Sawsall to it.
A restoration will take a wheelbarrow full of money. Don't ask me how I know... :rolleyes:
If it were me, I'd bring it back to running condition and call it a survivor.

And again, welcome.:)
I’m really thinking about it. I wanna keep all original parts, restore the chrome, and NOT CHOP ANYTHING OFF. I love a challenge of making a stock frame look not stock. I’ll be posting much more on it as time goes by. I will not be chopping anything off though, just to be clear.

I will not be chopping anything off though, just to be clear.
Excellent!! To be clear on my end, I believe it's your bike to do with as you will... but you just made a lot of people happy with that declaration. :D

Last edited:
That is a very clean looking bike for $500, I wonder how it managed to lose a needle.
Someone probably lost it trying to mess with it, I haven’t looked to see if I just need a needle clip. If the clip somehow dislodged it may be slid up into the slide. I’d be thrilled to find it in the assembly but I doubt it strongly. I can’t find a needle for it for under $20 Mikesxs is out of stock last I checked.

Nice bike YamTech! ‘76 is a nice model year. You’ve got a nice starting point there. You should consider starting a build thread and tracking all of your progress and questions there. We love to follow along with build projects ( with lots of photos! )
So good luck with your build and welcome to the best motorcycle forum!
Bob

Welcome, Yea you have a bit of work ahead of you but a nice bike o start with for that price. ...........The Gauge cluster is from a later model, 80 and on. .........that is also why the wires in the bucket would have been butcher'd because the 76 Gauge cluster and wiring set up is way different to the later special gauges........

the front forks and guard are from the later 77 and on, good chance the forks are from the later special same as the gauges and could have been bought as a set of another bike. Same as the buck-horn bars are from the Special as well................The forks are an upgrade as they are 35mm and the 76 had 34mm.....Not a bad thing

Yes, there's been some parts swapping going on, but that's not uncommon. Just make sure your carb set is a '76-'77 one before you start buying parts for it. There were 4 different sets of BS38s used on the 650 over the years and that means 4 different needles. You need the one that matches your carb set. Here's a spec chart .....

7wbHkpb.jpg

View attachment 129644 Forgot about the pic I took when I got it home. It’s a bit better quality.

Something for you to think about with your build.
Welcome aboard.
This forum helped me immensely with my '76 build.
Remember there are no stupid questions only stupid people who do not ask questions.

GW in Oz
XS650c_brochure_1.jpg
XS650c_brochure_2.jpg
XS650c_brochure_3.jpg
XS650c_brochure_4.jpg

Back