I cannot get right engine cover back on after clutch work.

JCB-78XS650-SE

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1978 XS650SE, almost exclusively stock with under 20,000 miles. It has been running and a daily rider since last summer, after it had sat in garage for about 10 years. Prior to that, I rode it daily and made treks to national parks and Sturgis a few times. Last year I reworked carbs, changed out petcocks, new battery, new tires — many other maintenance items.

Late last week, I decided to put in a new clutch cable, oiled it as well as adjusted at worm gear and clutch handle. I replaced the clutch rod seal. I also removed clutch, checked steel and friction plates for damage, so I could replace the starter gear (with clip). I reassembled the clutch. I've used a torque wrench throughout at values found in corresponding Yamaha manuals and supplements. With the right cover still off, the clutch appears to work beautifully —*smoother than ever.

I experienced many problems along the way and, man, this forum helped me learn a whole lot of things! Many, many thanks!!

I do have one "final" problem that has stopped my progress completely: I cannot get the right engine cover back on. It seems to be unable to be fully snugged up on the lower rear area of the cover (lower left as I face engine from right). It I had a guess, I'd say the kick starter is the problem. I really did not change or remove any of the kick starter parts.

Has anyone else experienced not being able to replace this cover? I'm listening and would appreciated any wisdom you might have. Thanks.

J.C. from Mandan, North Dakota.

Welcome to the forum, JCB. It's not unusual for the kickstart shaft assembly to be disturbed when removing the cover. So, that needs to be checked closely. Other things to watch when reassembling are the oil pump gear mesh to the primary drive and the cover's hollow alignment dowels...

I was lucky that someone showed me the trick!

Before the cover will seat flush against the engine case, you have to depress the kickstarter a bit and hold it that way as you slide the cover into place.

In other words you have to rotate the kick starter shaft and hold it in that position as you assemble. How much? Maybe 10 or 15 percent of a full stroke.

I will be back in the garage this afternoon to do the kick-start rotate (re: reply #3). I will try to report back later today. Thanks, Growl.

I'm amazed at how much I don't know. It ain't just motorcycles. At my age, that's getting to wear on me. Heh, heh.

I think you inadvertently pulled the kick assembly out a little as you were removing the cover. It's very common. Now it has popped out of position and needs to be re-set. To prevent this in the future, hold in on the kick shaft with your thumb as you remove the cover. Re-setting the kick shaft involves rotating it down a quarter turn or so and pushing it back in to fully seat it, but you do all this before you attempt to install the cover, or you should. Then there's no need to try and rotate the shaft as you're putting the cover on. See post #8 .....

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25602

I totally agree with 5twins.
I think at least 80% of us have done that very thing first time in that side.
This engine is upside down in "Peanuts video showing the install

Well, I got the cover on with the paying attention to the kick starter tips from Carbon/Peanuts, 5twins, TwoMany and Growl. I put the bike completely back together. And, just a FEW MINOR things weren't good. Wait — NOTHING went well AT ALL.

First, I could not start the engine. The electric start just whined. And, whined and whined with each touch of the starter button. I figured it needed a "kick" in the .... So, I tried the kick start but the lever would not budge in the downward direction. Just for curiosity since I replaced the clutch cable, I tested shifting gears with the engine not running. The clutch felt smooth and easy but the transmission would not change gear from neutral.

Starter whine: What could the whining indicate? Do I go all the way back to the starter gear?

Kick starter: Why doesn't it kick down or reset to be ready to kick down?

Clutch/Transmission: I have no clue on this one.

I need a job: Does anyone know a motocycle repair shop looking for a good bike mechanic? Kidding.

Anyone willing to tackle any of this? I'm kind of embarrassed since the bike ran great until I "fixed" the starter and clutch cable. Shhheeese.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give me. — j.c.

Too many questions?

I think so. Numerous problems in that right side. Without clear closeup pics of areas in there, all we're left with is to write up the entire service manual and point you to numerous threads and videos. Kinda scary, because it would be almost like a prolonged training course. We're good at nitpicking small/individual issues, attack them one at a time...

Thanks, TwoMany. I'm taking him apart today.

Starter gear, first (I suspect snap ring is too loose); clutch, second (clean, rough-up steel plates a little); finally, reinstall kick starter (alignment of nub/boss and then, the feel of kick starter's "normal" positioning before replacing cover).

j.c. out.

I suspect you've assembled something wrong, maybe the clutch. Everything is locked up in there. You should be able to gently test the kicker with the cover off to insure everything is working. The kicker works through the clutch which connects to the crank via the big gear on the back of the main hub. It seems your clutch is locked up and won't spin. You may have screwed up the spacer washer sequence in the clutch. Here's a diagram .....

ClutchWashers.jpg

If you have too many washers behind the clutch, it will sit out too far and hit the inside of the cover when you put it on. That would lock it up. Someone did that to mine in the past as evidenced by these scrape marks I found inside my cover .....

ClutchCoverDamage.jpg

Great illustration, 5Twins. You really should do manuals for Yamaha in a previous lifetime — like when the XS650s were on the market. Seriously, I'm printing the diagram out right now. I did manage to get the right cover on — hang up was with the kick starter. Thanks for your help.

Man, who's gonna take care of the XS650s when the current crop of experts move onto the next reality? I live on the northern prairies and, unless you ride a new Asian or an HD, fixing these twins is "on your own" proposal. I really appreciate this forum since I've rode mine for 30 years and I've never had any issues requiring my opening up his engine. Amazing, right? Change oil, keep timing and cam set, cuss at it now and again — this bike is bullet proof. Kinda like me in the 1960-70s! :bike:

Now, that'd be heaven. Or, as the ol' Chris Rhea song said, "We're on the road ... to hell."

So, I'm still fighting a few things. One bothering the most is, after going thru the clutch — again, filling the oil and starting him up, I can shift it to 1st gear. However, when I let clutch out, no moving forward. Not even a teasing motion. Any ideas what to do next?

If you let the clutch out, and it doesn't move in first gear, AND the engine doesn't lock-up, then it may simply be that the clutch isn't engaging. If so, kickstart wont engage engine.

Then, if so, the clutch pressure plate may not be clamping. That could be caused by not aligning the pressure plate indexing hole with hub (boss) marking dot.

Otherwise, may just be something about the clutch disengagement worm. Pushrod in backwards, out of adjustment, ...etc.

Well, I got the cover on with the paying attention to the kick starter tips from Carbon/Peanuts, 5twins, TwoMany and Growl. I put the bike completely back together. And, just a FEW MINOR things weren't good. Wait — NOTHING went well AT ALL.

First, I could not start the engine. The electric start just whined. And, whined and whined with each touch of the starter button. I figured it needed a "kick" in the .... So, I tried the kick start but the lever would not budge in the downward direction. Just for curiosity since I replaced the clutch cable, I tested shifting gears with the engine not running. The clutch felt smooth and easy but the transmission would not change gear from neutral.

Kick starter: Why doesn't it kick down or reset to be ready to kick down?

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give me. — j.c.
Well I'm afraid You didn't get the kick start installed correctly or it popped put on you while you were putting the cover back on.
I know from personal experience that has what is going on with the kick start.
you will have to try again.
What I do is test the start to make sure It works correctly before installing the cover. Then hold it into place while installing the cover. once cover is seated put a couple screws it finger tight put the kick arm on test it. I would take the sparkplugs out while testing. Once you are sure it's all good button it up.
I'm not sure about the other stuff.
just incase you didn't adjust you clutch correctly check this out
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Back