I got her back! Now what?

gdcpony

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost two years ago I laid down my '77 XS650 with my oldest daughter on the back. We were fine and the bike though not able to be ridden was not too damaged. My wife however put her foot down on repairing it. Instead my friend bought it from me and it sat in his garage until a couple weeks ago. Then he offered it back to me. I gave him a Mauser action and Boyd's thumbhole stock I had no plans for (I have gun parts like some of you have bike parts) and hoisted the old bike into the back of my truck for a trip to NC.

Here it joins a stable of bikes; 82 CB750F project for one of my Marines, my commuter '06 Virago 250, and my cruising bike a '05 Harley 1200R. My daughter cried when I sold the 650 so she was ecstatic to see it sitting once again in her reach. She wants it for her first bike and wants it fixed up ASAP. Funny since she can't ride it on the road for another year or so.

So here is the fix list:

Turn signals
Levers
Mufflers
Mirrors
Broken spark plug boot

That gets her back on the road. Obviously, there can be improvements made to it and I have a list of those too, but that can wait until she is paying for it. LOL

So this should prove interesting as it was a highly modified bike when I got it and the Marine with the 750 wants a race (drag strip 8 miles from here) once we get them done. So let the work begin!

My daughter when I told her the bike was going away about two years ago.
264797_200602203324236_7050727_n.jpg

Back in my garage safe and sound.
574560_510108122373641_1683179263_n.jpg

The current stable (note the sad shape of the CB750- so sad) I was putting new tires on my commuter bike as it gets 80mpg and racks up most of my about 25k miles a year on a bike.
563281_510108069040313_2086932883_n.jpg

As soon as I got the tires done Kala decided she needed to practice for "her" bike by using mine. Aside from some missing gear I was amused more than upset when I saw her.
488038_510108395706947_1568084726_n.jpg

MAN!! your wife is gonna kill you. sleep much lately? haha.
Its always sweet when u get back a lost ride. I spotted my 66 galaxie last summer. punk at grease monkey didnt believe me it was mine 10 years ago. Acted like he had no time to humor an old man(40) Called hima a little prick.
Dont need much work. As you know these are easy to work on, and with dad by her side, Im sure she will treat her well.
Her not wearing a helmet for a scoot around the cul-de-sac isnt so bad, but the ground looks wet.
BUSTED!

I had to put it back together after its first wreck so this is nothing. I think it got more damaged from the trip from OH to NC. I had to lay it on its side to fit it under my bed cap. Oh well, nothing but a bent pedal and messed up hand grip.

Yeah it was raining. For Kala riding in the rain, I let it go as I had pics for future use. She loves to ride, hunt and shoot. She is definitely daddy's girl.

Buying new parts to repair/improve the bike - just money. Working on it with your daughter to make it safe, reliable and sharp - priceless! An experience you'll remember for the rest of your life, and she will, too. you're a lucky man -

Yeah, I know. In a couple years I get to do the same with her sister. Then the youngest, my son joins the crew too! I am triple blessed.

I scored a couple used mufflers from a local shop for $25. I will have to use reducers on the 1 3/4 inch mufflers. They came from a Sporty so they should be a close match back pressure wise to the aftermarket ones it had on it.

IShe loves to ride, hunt and shoot. She is definitely daddy's girl.

man you are sooooooooo lucky ..... some of us will never know what its like to have kids ... the worry .... the cost...... :D

You need to make the most of now :bike: cos some day soon she'll be someone elses girl.

It would be hard for me to take the Virago with that Sporty sitting there.

The Sporty stays nice and comes out on sunny days and when there is a CR that needs a lesson. I beat it up for a year before picking up the Virago. I put 22k on it and tore it up more than I liked. Now, I save it for those times I feel like letting it scream a bit.

The Virago serves multiple roles. I commute my 60miles a day on it, train new riders, and loan it out for safety courses. I get cheaper maintenance and 80mpg out of it too. Yep, I love the little thing.

man you are sooooooooo lucky ..... some of us will never know what its like to have kids ... the worry .... the cost...... :D

You need to make the most of now :bike: cos some day soon she'll be someone elses girl.

Her Signature on another forum:

"If you can't pull back my bow, don't bother asking me out.
If you can't out shoot me, quit wasting my time.
If you can do both of the above, RUN! My dad is already aiming."

I think I am safe for now.

Back