I got pulled over for loud pipes....

MrBillohnooo

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday, I was cruising down 6th Street in Amarillo at 25 mph in a 30 mph zone, at fairly low rpm....where a lot of the bike people hang out. Mostly Harleys of course. There are signs posted about noise laws strictly enforced. LOTS of straight piped Harleys were cruising down 6th as I am beside the street pulled over by a squad car for loud pipes. I have a supertrapp muffler with 7 discs on my tracker that I was riding, and the 'ol XS isn't loud by any means. At one point about 6 or 7 bikes passed by and we couldn't hear each other talking! The kind officer said he thought my bike was too loud. I told him I wasn't trying to argue, but my bike isn't NEAR as loud as those. He replied with "but those are Harleys..They are all loud". He didn't ask me any questions about my bike. He looked old enough to not be a rookie.
I am NOT happy, even though he just wrote me a warning, and told me to "get it fixed".
I have been a licensed rider/ driver for 34 years with a very clean record.
I was harrassed. It was discriminatory. :wtf:
I think he was just checking my record/ my bike out, trying to find a violation.
The chief of police is going to hear from me in person on Monday after I get a decibel reading on it.
End of rant.

By going to the Chief you are probably just opening a can of worms for them to always be looking for you. Police will always let HD's slide.

I may not go. I just dont feel it's right gettin' pulled over on a no louder than a stock harley bike for pipes bein too loud! A matter of principle. They sure wouldn't pull over a stock harley for it.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! HaHa, sorry Bill. Tripps once loaned me a Cop Bike to take home while they worked a recall on My Buell. The next day, when I took it back, I told them, "now I know why those Motor Cops are always in a bad mood". I thought those Cop bikes would be comfortable and fun to ride. Not.

Bro....i feel your pain.....in my area, most of the old school style bikes are Harleys, very few XS's bobbers...I'll see the cops looking at my bike while i am driving and then, after a few minutes the lights come on.....they pull me over to ask me for my paper work... while asking me questions about the bike...WTF? 99.9% of the cops just give me a warning about either the loud pipes, no turn signals or anything they can dig up while standing next to me...then they say... "nice bike."

I was kinda blown away he didn't ask one single question about the bike, or comment on other violations..... which are obvious. I guess he needed his numbers to look good as far as people stopped.

There is a biker bar on the street where Bill got pulled over. Actually, there are about 5, and every harley that leave, does a full throttle exit, I have never seen any of them stopped. I always ease away from there, as I usually have a brew under My belt, and I dont want to get pulled over.:bike:

Same thing with this place 2 towns away. Hells Angels hang out there and they do the same full throttle exits. Never get pulled over.

MrBillohnooo...you got off with a warning. You two are even. Forget it.

Hehehe!!

This reminds me of a funny thing happening to me this spring. I took a ride on my Suzuki Gsx 1100 E -81 and went of to this vintage cafe for a cup of coffee and some cookis.

After a while a took of crusing in high speed on some small roads in the woods having a great time. Suddenly a grey Volvo V70 came up to my side with blue lights on the roof (civil cop):banghead: I was quite suprised since I had no mirrors on that bike.

Well...after a short disscusion with the officer we went into the policecar where they make clear to me a had driven too fast and that my licens were suspended.

Then the policeman said to me: - Hmmm, this is a caferacer, is it not. That bike must go really fast. I like that style you have on your bike!! Blablablabla.....so where have you been since you came down this road?? -

I told him: - I´ve been to a vintage cafe and had myself a cup of coffee, that´s why I came down the road on a caferacer -

Then we both laught and I had my licens suspenden for 1,5 month. This little happening makes me laugh every once in a while.

/BigBoreSwede

Attachments

• IMG_1027.jpg
    IMG_1027.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 156
I have a friend that taught driver's ed. She was talking to a cop, and told him she was going to complain about the amount of cops she saw using their lights to get through a red light and then pull into a restaurant or coffee shop up the road.
He said that's fine, they aren't supposed to do that, but warned her that every cop in town (small town) would know who complained and she could expect a lot of stops in the future.

Back