i have no idea what im doing

MarkGSE

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey dudes, gonna try and do a build thread on my first big bike.
The updates will be slow and unimpressive. I will ask a lot of dumb questions.
I will supply nudity and profanity as often as possible.
Please feel free to internet bully and give me your opinions n stuff.

I started with a pretty good platform, 79 xs650 that already had some pretty nice stuff and work done to...just not what I was into.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

I acquired a titled frame that had already been converted to a rigid frame (no idea what kit it is any one?)
I started swapping over the wheels and forks so I can have a rolling project.

Def gonna get the better bearings for the forks and the solid bushings as these stock ones are garbage.
Not gonna keep these bars just had em and wanted to put something on there for now.
Thanks for viewing and just for shits and giggles here are some of my other lil builds I've done all on a much smaller scale.

I like the vespa(?) the sissy bar on the red Honda is anything but sissy! love it. you have a good eye.
Are you going to go in a similar direction? kind of a step-thru/trials type of look, with chopper attitude? ido see your naked frame, are you going to change it any?

Thanks man I don't really know yet, I don't really have a plan, every other bike ive build has always just kinda happened im hoping this will be the same way. i really wanna run dual 16s i may try n pick some up from Mike's XS and def gonna lower the front 3inches and try to get some of the fork shrouds.

Saw this thread, saw the title, and thought: "I could be comfortable here, I have no idea what I'm doing either."

Then pic #3 scrolled up and, whut th...? Now THERE's something different!

You've definitely got talent, we'll be watching your progress...

Well... Showing us the charging system may not help us answer any questions about ignition. That appears to be a stock pre-80 stator. Pull the two chrome covers on either side of the head. They should be held in by phillips head screws. Take pics of what you find underneath.

take off the cover above the left sparkplug
oops I see you were all ready given that suggestion
looking at charging its not tci
so I say you will find points under left cover

We all had to start somewhere.

horse has bolted.................. Could have helped yourself out. Had a good bike to get to know what you had and how things worked.

See the po done some good upgrades.

Sure your build will have something a bit different, judging by your previous bikes. Will make a change.

those motors are decepitely heavy, huh? takes about 4 days for my back to unwind after lugging one out by myself.
We have a turny thing at work we use to weld around stuff, turns slow. only looks to be about 40lbs, but feels more like 80. Made of dark matter.

radical well word on the street is that it was improperly installed and fried bc the it was not getting any spark Thanks Mr.Carbon

YW, well the pamco can be installed correctly and if the power is left on and engine is not running. the cb can get burnt out as well.
I think the even more modern pamco unit has that fixed. but im not positive about that.
I have the one that you have.

Yea ima just scrap the whole electrical system and start from scratch. no point it chasing ghost or trying to fix someone's forgotten problem. I wanna go no battery anyways.

Back