I just bought a Harley

cpotts454

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought my second bike! 01 Road King Classic. 53k on the clock. Only paid $9500.

I couldnt part with my XS though, it will be my daily driver. The Road King is for trips and to ride some tail around.

Here are some pictures.
IMG00051-20100426-1944.jpg

IMG00054-20100426-1945.jpg

IMG00050-20100425-1730.jpg

That is one sweet looking bike! I love the paint scheme and the 1961-1962 style tank emblems. Not to mention that the bike is SPOTLESS! You state that the bike has 53k on it, looks more like 5,300.
Enjoy that bike...I know I would!

It is a spotless bike! The PO had it painted with the 58 panhead in mind at around 45000 miles. I just got it serviced at a Harley indy shop and the mechanic said that is was the best Magenti Marelli (99-01 ignition system, in which had a poor design) bike he has ever ridden. I am happy with this purchase and glad I got such a good deal on it! Thanks for your comments man!

Have owned numerous Harleys in many variations. Love em. Im kinda freaky bout it. Its a good thing I'm not rich. Ha ha...not a poser or RUB , just an old guy what likes old bikes. Actually most old bikes. My current daily ride(pain in the ass) is a 1979 FXE or low rider. Yeah , I'm always wrenchin on it. But I will not give it up. Love hate thing , I guess. I really miss my panhead and my knuckle and I dream about the 45 flatheads I had. Toldja I was freaky......

Nope I have not, people pay to much for and care to much about their Harleys for me to ever ask about riding one. I mean that as a compliment btw. I would love to take one for a spin. I actually do love the new 1200 street-track inspired bike they have out now. Just to rich for my blood at the moment.

Second, If we have to explain. You certainly wouldn't understand.

That's exactly the kind of statement that makes people hate Harley riders. They aren't anything special. I HAVE ridden a number of Harleys, including a 2000 RKC. They have two wheels and a motor. They're very comfortable and they run and sound great. They're also cumbersome, out-dated, gaudy, and over-priced.

Not trying to dump on your purchase, cpotts454. If you like it, ride the hell out of it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Its all good Teebs. I was never much on Harely either, but I love riding long distances. I always tell people a "real" bike as some call it isn't a manufactured bike. Its a bike that someone has built with their own two hands. I love my XS, and will probably never get rid of it unless I have to, or if I build another bike I comparably love... but my XS is no long distance cruiser by far. I rode it on a 300 mile stint last year and I thought I might have broke my back. I wasn't even in the market for a Harley when I found this one and fell in love. Its a custom classic, built by someone, someone cared for it, styled it, and had my same tastes, but by far it was not a manufactured bike. Its in mint condition for a fair price. I couldn't pass on it... And now I can take long trips with ease.

Thanks for the replys guys!

Just for comparison sake, here is a picture of me on both bikes.

24116_1443029357897_1297990571_1219709_1439592_n.jpg

I dont know what yall spend your money on. I own my home and have 5 Harleys registered. And I am a fucken janitor! Quit crying there to much $$$$.
Like someone said, its a motorcycle. No different than your beloved Yamamma's
Just cant explain the feeling of 100 ft. lbs of tourque at 2500 rpm. I guess if all I had ridden was a weak ass vertical twin, id think its all that and the chips.
Fella's get off the couch and get a paper route. Save up a couple grand and try a aircooled XL.
BTW- cpotts454, You need to remove your cam cover and check your cam chain tensioners. With that kind of mileage they most likely are desinigrating in to your oil. Let me know if I can offer any assistance.

It isn't the bike (except for the ridiculous price and deteriorating quality), it's the attitude that so often goes along with them that I have issues with.

It isn't cost that is at issue, it's what you get for the cost. A bloated, overpriced, uninteresting ride.

Congratulations on your 5 Harleys. Do you ride them all at once? :thumbsup:

Btw, besides my XS, I also have a '57 panhead chop and a '09 Ducati 1198 S. Just in case we're comparing... bikes. :D

Your posts contradickt. Post 11 says its the ridiculous price, then #12 says cost isnt the issue?? Then you say you own a panhead. So what is it bro? Also I would love to see this panhead you own. Also cuz started the thread mentioned he paid $9,500.00 for a Roadking Classic. What is that ridiculously low. Where I am from thats a deal. Please compare the declining qulaity statement against that 50' pan you got. Bet his dosent leak oil or need to have the valves adjusted after every ride!
You must have bought that pan before you heard the old saying "Harley, Selling yesterdays technoligy at tommorrows prices. So what do you want for that ole abortion of a pan?

For me cost has been an issue....just cant afford the new stuff. Thats why I have allways had older scoots. The initial outlay was more than I could do. But then on the other hand repairs and rebuilds get costly too. Unless you can do a lot yourself. My 79 keeps me busy fixin and buyin . Hoping this is the last to spend this year....AMF...sure built some shit.Kev.

My posts aren't contradictory, you just chose to ignore the second half of that sentence, or you didn't understand, which seems likely, so I'll explain. I wouldn't have a problem spending $9500 on a bike, if it was worth that much; my Superbike being a good example. Comfort, insane speed, perfect handling, flawless reliability, the cutting-edge of bike technology, and just outright awesomeness. :bike:

You're paying all that money for an antiquated style and outdated design. THAT is what "selling yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices" actually means. It is an argument for the ridiculous cost of today's Harleys, when they rarely change. Thank you for making my point! :D

$9500 for a 9 year old bike with 50+ thousand miles? Where I am from many people might also consider that a deal, but it doesn't make it so.

You're absolutely right about the pan. It leaks like a sieve and requires too much maintenance (You're not really arguing your case for Harleys by pointing this out.) It does get a lot of attention at shows and the two or three times a year I take it out for a ride, though.

Incidentally, I paid a whopping zero dollars for the drive-train for exactly the reasons you mentioned (my uncle's exact words: "Take the fuckin' piece of shit.") I totally got shafted, eh? :doh: After scrounging for parts and buying beer for my brother and a few friends, I might have put $1000 into it, maybe another $500 in the years since I built it. :banghead: It's terrible.

BTW, I love that this is a direct copy-and-paste from your profile: "Got sick of the Harley crowds metality of the Harley is the best bike. I built a 1976 Custom XS650 and told them all to bite me!", yet here you are not only showing that attitude, but bashing the "weak ass vertical twin" XS in the same breath. :laugh: Who's being contradictory?

Wow, didnt realize I was going to start such a heated debate! I was just posting some pics of my new bike for the guys here that know me. Ive been around here and 650rider for about 3 years.

Teebs - I know where your coming from, but dont devalue anything just because you cant afford it or because you dislike the people that own it. I like anything that makes me smile when I see it or hear it. That includes souped up mopeds and golf carts (had them both).

smokenjoep01 - Yeah man, the first thing I did when I bought it was take it to a indy mechanic to look it over for anything that needed replaced. Since I have never owned a Harley I am not familiar with sounds that they should or shouldnt make. I asked him about the chain tensioners and he said it would be better to take the money that I would pay him ($150) to look at them and save it up to just buy Andrews gear drive system. Im going to PM you with a couple questions if you dont mind. (I dont want to start more trouble. tehehe)

Teebs - $9500 for a EFI Road King even with 50k on the clock is a good deal. The mechanic that I took it to said that he would have easily given 12k for it. He said it has been extremely well maintained and cared for. Its just like anything else... if you beat it to shit its not going to last... The TC88 motor will last for another 50k without a rebuild if properly cared for.

Nice lookin Road King. Glad you like it. Personally, I love Harley's and most anything on 2 wheels. As for the other BS, I find it funny every time a Ducati rider tries to bash on Harley's for being over priced POS's. You can claim "comfort", "insane speed" "perfect handling" etc.....(flawless reliability? spare me I currently own a Duc and have roadraced them for years....I KNOW better) but the fact is that you could have gotten a superior japanese bike for 1/2 the cost, better reliability, and a larger dealer network. Given those facts, why choose a Duc over a GSXR1K? I know the answer and it is the same reason some guys choose Harley's over metrics. BTW, I would also like to see pics of this "free" panhead chop alongside the 1198S. Variety sure is interesting when it comes to 2 wheeled excess.

Nice looking bike cpotts... Have any idea how much $$$ the previous owner had into it including the original price of the bike?

Back