Identify/info on these carbs...

Rule of thumb: if the vendor doesn't tell you where it's from, it's probably from China. If a rubber part is from China, it's made from recycled condoms and will fail sooner rather than later. Get the boots from JBM or 650 Central.

Rule of thumb: if the vendor doesn't tell you where it's from, it's probably from China. If a rubber part is from China, it's made from recycled condoms and will fail sooner rather than later. Get the boots from JBM or 650 Central.

one of them says made in japan. is that any better?

Something is very fishy about Both of these listings. Both have very similar information and claim the one size to fit both 78 - 79 SE & F models (which are BS 38's btw) and 80,81,82,83 models (which are BS 34's OEM btw) as well. This has to be incorrect info. The two model Mikuni CV carburetors require different size carb holders one for BS 38's and another for BS 34's. Beware!

Secondly there is no identification of the maker of either products much less any meaningful technical information.

I would not purchase either of these sets for these reasons alone as we know that there are a raft of carb boot holder out there which distintegrate with ethanol containing fuels.

Check this page from JBM Industries....These are what I do recommend and his boots for BS 34's are in stock. PS You may want to check out the failed boots picture he shows....it may look familiar.

As to the two sellers of the ebay listings you reference with these similar products listed....I have no knowledge of either. I concur with the grizld1 comments above re 650 Central and JBM. I disagree with him slightly as to the source of rubber regrind for the chinese suppplied holders we've all encountered.....condoms even in China are made of much better rubber! Blue

Last edited:
Those are 80 up EPA carbs. They are jetted really lean to pass the regulations at the time. They will start and run ok but are not good performance carbs. If your just cruising around they will work fine.

Blue, your hypothesis on quality of raw materials in Chinese rubber goods is somewhat weakened by the assumption that the processes applied at the Peoples Big Joy Condom Recycling and Social Reeducation Cooperative include the removal of--uh, how to put this--foreign material.

Have you ever had a set of those Chinese boots in your hand? The stuff they're made from is a little stiffer than foam, but not much. Ethanol may not do them much good, but they'd fail early on alky-free gas anyway.

Well Mr. Griz....Yes, I have seen a fair number of the de-polymerized products of reversion low modulus junk rubber parts you reference and I thought I had a pretty good theory on how they got that way but; as usual, I'm going to have to "check to the power" as it would seem you have way too much "inside knowledge" when it comes to Chinese condoms. :hump: So saying I humbly withdraw for I fear we are now dangerously off topic.

:bow2::bow2: Best, Blue

Yup all the usual suspects pontificating in one neat little thread!
Gcraay we still need to see pics of YOUR carbs!

Back