Ignition system wiring

Cadergray

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have the ignition system wired up and I have 12.4v all the way to the red wire on the coil, but the orange wire also has power. Is that normal or bad? BTW the bike is an 83 so it has a TCI.

16085048082913290301498323275729.jpg
I know the wiring is jank but I will fix it all pretty once I get it running.

So I have the ignition system wired up and I have 12.4v all the way to the red wire on the coil, but the orange wire also has power. Is that normal or bad? BTW the bike is an 83 so it has a TCI.
Yes, normal. 12v passes through the coil looking for a ground at the TCI box. You'll read 12v in and 12v minus the loss from the 3 ohms in the coil.... about .1 to .3 volts drop.

So I wonder why I still don't have spark, my stator is not magnetized when I crank the motor over and I have power to the brushes.

So I wonder why I still don't have spark, my stator is not magnetized when I crank the motor over and I have power to the brushes.
You're talking about 2 separate systems here. The brushes and rotor are part of the charging system... completely separate from the ignition system and not needed for spark... sorta. The iggy trigger magnet is on the rotor. Games back on... I'll post more in a bit. Go Chiefs!!

13 and 1 baby!! :D
OK... so that's 2 different issues. Let's work one at a time.
Ignition: Do you have the Yamaha manual? It has a pretty good troubleshooting tree for the iggy system. I'd double check your wiring job and make sure it's all correct, then follow the ts. tree. I'll put up a copy if you don't have one.

Charging: The rotor should magnetize as soon as you turn power on. You say you have power to the brushes. That means it's either the rotor, the reg/rec or the wiring. Judging by your rats nest, I'd suspect wiring. ;) I rebuild rotors and I'll give you a link to that if that's what it turns out to be. I'd suggest you just work the iggy problem for now and get it running first. One thing at a time.

Look around in Tech. There's manuals in here somewhere. Here's the 2 pages you need.

zaas.jpg

zaa.jpg

So both of the orange and red wires from the coil read 12.4 minus
The red (supposed to be red/white) wire going to the coil is power. Orange goes to the TCI box to fire the coil. You can test the coil by tapping the orange wire (coming from the coil) against some metal on the bike (ground). Every time you remove the orange from the metal (gnd), the plugs will fire. Try that and tell us what you get.

This may be a silly question but do you have battery power going to both the TCI box and coil? As shown in the diagram in Jim's first pic in post #12.
If your wiring doesn't match that diagrtam you won't get spaerk.
Leo

Back