Inner tube troubles

adi1974

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, I'm fitting firestone Deluxe Champion tyres to my 78 SE. It has the mag wheels (19 front, 16 rear)

Went and bought inner tubes for them today and when I put the tube in the rear I realised that the valve stem hole is way bigger than the valve stem (bigger than the hole in the front wheel too). As a result the locking nut doesnt clamp the valve / tube to the wheel, infact if you tighten it up it would just go through the hole.

Is that normal for those 16in wheels or has someone widened the hole for some reason?

How can I resolve it so I can fit the tube? Can I simply use a washer or would that be dangerous as there would still be play in the valve stem. I'm worried that the tube could sort of hernia into the space between the valve stem and the wheel and potentially pinch / pop!

What do you think? Does it need some sort of rubber insert?

Also the other tube for the front is a different brand (chen shin) and has 2 locking nuts then another nut which is tight up against a sort of shield which is then tight to the valve stem seat. Does that nut and shield go inside the tyre and then the other 2 lock on the outside or do all of those pieces go on the outside?

Sorry, never put tubes on a moto before. Advice needed! Cheers

Do mag wheels need tubes? I always thought no tube was needed on these wheels???

Yes, but your rims may not. Examine them closely and see if they have "Tubeless" stamped in one of the spoke webs.

No they dont, theres no tubeless mark on the spokes and anyway, I've been advised that these tyres have to run tubes so it doesnt matter. Anyone know about the issue I'm asking about please?

Even tho the tires says to use a tube it is based on the rim and from everything I have read only the spoke rims need tubes
I would never ? 5twins or a few others when it comes to anything with the xs650

Well you've put me in a pickle then because everything I've read the last couple of weeks regarding firestone classics, including threads on this forum state that they should be run with tubes. Now I'm confused

There's a hell of alot of people out there running those tyres on those mags. Anyone got any actual experience with them?

adi1974, around here you'll find giving a little respect goes a long ways toward getting a little respect. Having said that I checked the wheels on my 78 SE. Front and rear valve stem holes are the same diameter and fit the tube valve stems well. My mag wheels (stock) do require tubes. I believe your rear wheel's hole has been drilled out at some point in it's past, probably to allow fitment of a tubeless valve stem.

Sorry Royboy, I dont know why you think I'm being disrespectful. I'm not trying to be. I apologise if my quick typing has come across as sharp or something. Anyway, cheers for that, what you said about drilling out makes sense. I wonder if I can get some sort of seal / grommet to bridge the gap?

If the tire specifies that you must run tubes, then you must run tubes. That being said, what isn't being clarified very well is that some mag rims do not require tubes. Im not sure on the different size holes for the valve stem.

Thanks, I will do when I can get back in the shed, maybe tomorrow. In the meantime anyone know how I can make up this difference in hole size / valve stem? I'm pretty sure its been drilled out larger as perviously mentioned. So should I find some sort of grommet / seal that the stem should pass through which then makes a seal with the rim to keep water / dirt out of? Is this a common thing? Thanks for the advice guys, keep it comin

IMG_5431.jpg

Here's a pic of the valve stem on the tube and the oversized hole in the rim (for a tubless valve no doubt). How should I deal with this do you think guys? Should I use some sort of grommet to fill the gap / create a seal or is there a specific item that does the job? All help appreciated.
Got my front on btw and it looks beautiful!

Back