Introduction New member - CNY

Duck749

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello, just want to say first off great site! I picked up my first Yamaha last week, '78 XS650 Special with 28k miles. Needs a lot of cleanup and tune up but is base for brat/scrambler project and most items needing replacing are done for project (tires, seat, etc).

This will be my third project coming off restoration of '66 Ducati Monza and conversion of Ninja 250 Cafe using Blue Collar kit. What is unique with this project is frame needs powder coating so everything needs to come off which will be first for me.

I look forward to the expertise, dialogue and support. Still debating where to start, Friday sitting in garage watching car movie and ended up with seat, fenders, tires and air box all out. I am leaning towards removing/rebuilding forks and powder coating wheels as step one...As that is in process removing engine and electrical.

Sounds like a good project. CNY is a big placed. I live there to. Care to be a bit more specific?
I may be close enough to help a bit if needed.
Leo

Yes I too am in CNY, just a bit west of Syracuse, if you are pulling any parts off that `78 be careful with them as I have a `78 Special that might have a home for them! One of those future projects I have been sitting on for way too long.

Sometimes it's easier to say CNY versus Ithaca/Dryden... Thanks for the replies and kshansen I will keep a list and let you know.

I love Ithaca area up to canadegua (sp) area. That while area is beautiful and it's on my itinerary for one if my first long rides once my bike is up.

Welcome to the site and bike man! I've been on a lot of enthusiast forums (Lambrettas, VW[multiple for many many years], Suzuki, BMW, Subaru, etc etc,) and this is by far the nicest, most helpful community I've come across!

Seriously, not shitting you.

Good luck and I hope to see some before, during and after pics!

Sometimes it's easier to say CNY versus Ithaca/Dryden... Thanks for the replies and kshansen I will keep a list and let you know.

Well "Ithaca/Dryden" area sure counts! One thing that always bugs me is when I hear some one say "Upstate NY" and then I find out they are talking about someplace that is maybe 10 miles north of the last subway station in The Bronx! In my opinion anything south of Albany is NOT Upstate!

While I'm bitching here do you have any idea of a way to get from your area to say Trumansburg or Watkins Glen with out going through the nightmare of Ithaca traffic? Sitting on an overheating XS650 or Sportster while waiting for light after light is not fun, see I did mange to get it almost back on topic!

Welcome, Duck. Another CNY guy, here.
I'm on Otisco Lake, SW of Syracuse.
I regularly ride in the Ithaca/Dryden area, especially Irish Settlement Rd, Ringwood rd, White Church rd, Straits Corners rd, Halsey Valley rd. Pizza in Spencer and sandwiches at the Brooktondale Market

A couple years ago, I started a CNY Members thread. It should still be accessible.

Well "Ithaca/Dryden" area sure counts! One thing that always bugs me is when I hear some one say "Upstate NY" and then I find out they are talking about someplace that is maybe 10 miles north of the last subway station in The Bronx! In my opinion anything south of Albany is NOT Upstate!

While I'm bitching here do you have any idea of a way to get from your area to say Trumansburg or Watkins Glen with out going through the nightmare of Ithaca traffic? Sitting on an overheating XS650 or Sportster while waiting for light after light is not fun, see I did mange to get it almost back on topic!
Ken,
From Slaterville (79), take a left on Burns, straight onto E. King, straight onto W. King thru the park (very nice twisty ride), and continue thru the park on Sandbank, down the hill to 13/96 (Elmira Rd.) near the entrance to Buttermilk Falls.

.....and 13a (Floral Ave/ 5 Mile Ave) will take you around the shopping district to Rt. 96 and 79, and you are off to Trumansburg and points west.

Welcome from the Binghamton area. And I do consider Binghamton upstate. One of my Sunday morning rides is to Ithaca for coffee, then over to Cortland, down to Whitney Point and home. During the week I stop at CNY, the bike shop. When the weather is better we could meet for coffee at Gimme Coffee or the Ithaca Bakery.
Whynot2

......I've been on a lot of enthusiast forums and this is by far the nicest, most helpful community I've come across!

Seriously, not shitting you.

Good luck and I hope to see some before, during and after pics!

Yep 100% right agree

Back