Is there any interest in High Ratio Primary Gears

An old thread, maybe it's still alive ?
I'm not sure what this is all about though, as some call high-ratios one thing and some call it another.
Does it work like an overdrive, ie, lower engine speed at any rpm ?
What would it do to rpm w/o changing sprockets ?
I'm only looking for another 500-1000 rpm...a loss that is. That means if my std (?) XS turns 3000rpm at 60mph, I'm looking for 2500 rpm. I'm also interested in a stroker (750/850) setup too but not sure when I'll get time for it. I spend too much time riding :)

An overdrive has the output spinning faster than the input. The high-ratio primary simply increases the clutch spin about 24%, it still spins slower than the crank. But, the loads on the clutch and trans are reduced by the same amount.

Stock gearing and sprockets, the XS650 will run about 4,000 rpm at 60 mph. With the high-ratio primary, expect about 3,200 rpm at 60 mph...

Me thinks posting in so many threads about the same thing is good for traffic on the site............been getting a bit slow lately........don't happen to know a guy from NewYork Called JWilde do you?

An overdrive has the output spinning faster than the input. The high-ratio primary simply increases the clutch spin about 24%, it still spins slower than the crank. But, the loads on the clutch and trans are reduced by the same amount.

Stock gearing and sprockets, the XS650 will run about 4,000 rpm at 60 mph. With the high-ratio primary, expect about 3,200 rpm at 60 mph...
I agree with TwoManyXS1Bs. My main reason was to reduce the torque through the gearbox when you increase the power of the engine. I changed the rear sprocket to get back to stock engine speed and vehicle speed. That being said your desire to drop engine rpm is also easy to accomplish.

have had a set of ivans gears on my bike , 750 kit , heidens cam , rephrased etc etc , its a rd bike no racing ;) , ran 18 38 sprockets , very happy with it , lowered the rpms down about 1000 revs from normal which also ment at h/way legal speed (100 klh or 60mph) kept it out of a vibration range , have taken off the bike for a non related reason but will be going back on again shortly , have a mikes 5th gear to put on it but now don't see the need for my use

bump - thread resurrection necromancer at work here - any updates on the clutch project @riksoto? Mostly curious...
Hello,

My source was in a bad motorcycle accident and closed his business and sold off all of the machinery of the to pay his medical bills. All of his notes and drawings are lost. I don’t have any of the information for the gears. I’m sorry and wish I could be of more help at this time.

V/R

Rik Soto

Hello,

My source was in a bad motorcycle accident and closed his business and sold off all of the machinery of the to pay his medical bills. All of his notes and drawings are lost. I don’t have any of the information for the gears. I’m sorry and wish I could be of more help at this time.

V/R

Rik Soto
Yowch! Sorry to hear that :(

Back