"Jack's" Kickass D-Shaped Intake Ports! Alive and running

Punkskalar

Hugh's HandBuilt
Reaction score
So XS650.com member Jack has been hanging out at the shop, and this dude knows his XS650 heads! I am blessed to have spent some time learning from him.

This engine has D Shaped intake runners. I got the idea from Jack to do this when he started coming by the shop a few months ago. I did lots of my own reading, and checked all the books I could, and it turns out Jack's theories were spot on. Jack has even had one of these head bench flowed and from what I've seen, they are impressive.

This engine is 700CC, with all our little tricks, and some stock carbs with cut off headpipes just to get it fired. Even untuned the throttle response is amazing!

I'll stop there, maybe Jack will chime in later, but here is the video.

Just a quick shot of some of the machining on the intake runners on the mill...

398024_281150345267744_128114490571331_729885_847366733_n.jpg

Thats looks quite interesting. And sounds good
Did you take a pic looking down into the intake?
How far in did you go with thd D shape?
Is this goin to be a new service that you will offer?
And why do you like the lectron carbs?

Thats looks quite interesting. And sounds good

Did you take a pic looking down into the intake? - I do not, there is alot of work done inside these ports, even so far as to building up the floor, and the walls in order to make the shape I want.

How far in did you go with thd D shape? All the way to the 2nd turn, just before the valve seat transitions to the walls.

Is this goin to be a new service that you will offer? Not likely, this is VERY time consuming

And why do you like the lectron carbs? If you have ever seen Lectrons, or run them, you'll never go to anything else... Flat slides, Adjustable Powerjets, Ease of Tuning, and the cool factor of translucent fuel bowls all make em pretty sweet. They aren't cheap, but they are simply some of the best carbs I have ever used. They cost about 2-3X as much as Mikuni VM's, keeping alot of folks from messing with them.

That should just about cover it :laugh:

hey Hugh, i know you aren't exactly a proponent of the single carb setup. However if someone did choose to go that route would you still suggest a Lectron carb as the best option?

Jack's got pics showing how he reshaped the intake ports to acheive the D shape. He welded in the floor of the intake, then recut it to the shape he wanted.
Jack is also welding in the combustion chamber to get a bath tub shaped chamber to increase the squish area to get a better burn across the chamber.
Very interesting reading on all his experimenting.
If not here I think they might be at the "Garage"
Leo

It's been a real pleasure getting to know Hugh and his crew members but most importantly,it's been fun hanging out at the shop talking engines and to BS.

I'd like to take this time to personally THANK Hugh for allowing me to show him other alternative method to porting the XS intakes pushing it theoretically based on a couple years of flow testing to another level utilizing a smaller port volumes without diminishing the #s where it counts most.

Having listen to a few of Hugh's engine build start-ups,I can honestly say that the the D- shape ports due pack a different punch(Ear Dyno) VS the round ports and what was noticeably different was the idling speed at which Hugh had it set at,650-+ few RPMs without hesitation just purring like a cat and the responsiveness of the engine as the throttle was snapped was quite impressive by itself and the engine tone had changed some what to a deeper note. Time will tell whether or not any of these changes are directly linked to the D- Shape porting but I believe there's a connection and Hugh undoubtedly will be the final judge of that being, he's built two 700CCs engines of identical proportions. :thumbsup:

And one more final note,this video really doesn't do this motor justice as far as sound goes and I mean this whole heartily that there ARE NO SMALL BLOCK CHEVYS THAT SOUND AS GOOD AS THIS 700CC ENGINE. Just blew me away!

That's untuned??!! Wow my motor has some serious probs then!

Ignition is timed, but the carbs are bone stock off of an 81', untouched, and the pipes are just stock headpipes cut down, so the exhaust isn't tuned either... Just wait, this thing is gonna rip! :thumbsup:

jesus, may as well be fuel injected, your a genius man lol. Liable to snap a chain now with that kind of kick! Im picturing hughs next product....

I'm a huge fan of Hugh and Jack. But let's get to where the rubber meets the road. Let's talk turkey. Let's get down to business. And let's see some dyno numbers ASAP!!!!

Back