Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Thanks Robin. Yeah.... I guess it's 6 of one... half a dozen of the other...

What grit Roloc discs did you use on the brake disc? That looks nice, I may have to try it. I've never gone so far as to re-surface a disc. I just drill them and by leaving the holes rather sharp edged, they eventually polish themselves out. But a little Roloc disc treatment would probably greatly speed up that process.

Used the 3" with 36 grit to start. It was way too aggressive but that's all I had for the 3" so I wore it down on a chunk of steel till it was prolly about 80-120 grit(?)
Went over it after that with brown then red Roloc scotchbrite discs. It actually was a lot easier to do than I anticipated.

Thanks Tebo. Yep... just gotta keep pluggin' away.

Got some cleanin' and painting done yesterday. A couple "before" shots of the front disc and wheel....
---------------
Masking off the wheel was a real bear of a job. Next bike is gonna have spokes...;)
-------------------------

Phew.... glad I only got one more wheel to go.

JimD54,

What is your "Ship to address"? Have another pair of those off the 1978 to send your way, I'll even save you some work by poping off the old tires!
No rush the end of March would be plenty of time!

JimD54,

What is your "Ship to address"? Have another pair of those off the 1978 to send your way, I'll even save you some work by poping off the old tires!
No rush the end of March would be plenty of time!

I was going to say the same thing :D

Those look great and I just dot have the patience for that on the rim and just paint them black........or powder coat them. I have a set now that I need to get cleaned up for a smaller project I picked up......

Oh and like you said Jim spokes on the next one.......well I am holding out for spokes on my first one ;) have a line on a decent 78 but no title and that's why the price is low I think.......

have a line on a decent 78 but no title and that's why the price is low I think.......
Find out the cost of getting a title and weigh the difference. You might find it's worth lookin' at.

Find the cost of getting a title and weigh the difference. You might find it's worth lookin' at.

Yes but sucks as I am in one state and title lost in another......says registered owner is girlfriend so paperwork wouldn't be a pain but just the hoops at the DMV suck around here.....plus I want spokes :laugh2: seems like every XS I pick up has mags..........3 400s a 750 and a 1100.....

"now they tell me"
Jim; I'll just throw this in here.
Sprayed this wheel, no masking other than a bit of hand held cardboard, bolts in rotor holes. Spray bomb paint. let it set up a few minutes, put some mineral spirits on rag or paper towel, wipe paint off machined areas, repeat as needed, done. Been painting mags this way for decades.
DSCN8444.JPG

I think it actually leaves a smoother more chip resistant paint edge.

On rotors, several of us reprobates on here mount the rotor on a spindle. ( I have a ratty mag I through bolt to my welding table so it spins freely). and use various sanding disks in the angle grinder, letting the rotor spin slowly. gives a nice even finish and keeps it all a pretty consistent thickness, good enough that I've never experienced any noticeable pulsing in use.

Last edited:
Nice job on the wheel Jim. What did you use to get the edge looking that good?

....mineral spirits on rag or paper towel, wipe paint off machined areas, repeat as needed
Yeah, I've done that in the past... with mixed results. Ol' fumblefingers here usually manages to rub off the paint I wanted to stay... 6 coats (and wipes) later I'm thinkin' I shoulda' just taped it off.

Back