Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

My one legged girl...
Front end is back together. I'm happy with everything except the fender... it's a ten footer. Too many scratches and dings for a resto. I'm gonna use it for now 'cause of my budget, but I'll keep an eye out for a replacement.
MVIMG_20180221_180319.jpg

MVIMG_20180221_180341.jpg

Guess I'll add the fender to my (growing) list of stuff to change after she's up and runnin'.

If you're going for the look of that vintage Triumph Speed Twin, couldn't you paint the fenders to match the tank and side covers? I know you put a lot of work into getting the fender as good as it is, but primer and a few coats of color would be pretty sharp too.... No? Okay, I'll be quiet....

I've always thought a chrome fender with the raised edge left chrome and center area painted to match the body work would very classy. So far I haven't found one with a good perimeter. :p

Not a bad idea Gary... I like it. The edge is good on this one. Hmmm.....

Tape off what you want to keep chrome and sandblast is probably best, you can chemically etch it but preserving the border would be tough. Good old fine sandpaper or roloks will do it.

Looks shiny enough from here Jim. We all got some dings and scratches too. You'll drive yourself batty, or into the poor house trying to get everything perfect.

Imagine what a NOS fender would cost if you could find one. :eek:

I think we tend to forget sometimes that we are restoring +/- 40 year old bikes and they're never gonna look absolutely perfect.
You are doing an amazing job and having some original patina and scars just adds to the authenticity. IMHO.

Looking at your bike no-one's gonna notice a ding or scratch in the fender, it's the fork tubes that'll get em. :D

Thanks Robin. Yeah, I got a list of stuff I want to replace, but I'm gonna wait 'till it's all done and then take a "grand scheme of things" look at it. I'm guessin' my list will shrink then...

I'm gonna wait 'till it's all done and then take a "grand scheme of things" look at it.

You know Jim when you get to this point I'll bet you'll be more than satisfied with the results. The fenders on my 77 are dented and scratched as well along with other blemishes here and there. A few times when gassing up and chatting with other riders when they came over to look at my bike (most often Harley riders interestingly enough), I'd complain about her imperfections. They would all say, "Man that's a vintage bike, what do you expect, it looks great"

And don't forget, there's always the next project in line!

They would all say, "Man that's a vintage bike, what do you expect, it looks great"
When I started this, I was plannin' on doing a full on restoration... then I started seeing how much the price of parts had changed since the last time I owned an XS. Holy crap they went up. Being retired on a fixed budget, I'm more and more thinking I'll wind up with the "Man that's a vintage bike, what do you expect, it looks great".... look.

Yep looks great Jim!

All the fenders I have are in great shape but have swirls I don't think there is a way to avoid it.......now pitting on the forks well that's another story......like stated before these bikes are 40 yrs old......hell we have a few pits and scratches to but who is complaining :laugh2:

Looks shiny enough from here Jim. We all got some dings and scratches too. You'll drive yourself batty, or into the poor house trying to get everything perfect.

Imagine what a NOS fender would cost if you could find one. :eek:

I think we tend to forget sometimes that we are restoring +/- 40 year old bikes and they're never gonna look absolutely perfect.
You are doing an amazing job and having some original patina and scars just adds to the authenticity. IMHO.

Looking at your bike no-one's gonna notice a ding or scratch in the fender, it's the fork tubes that'll get em. :D

Yeah what he said! I was planning on bringing my bike to factory new condition too, when I bought mine. But I've plunked so much money into getting it up to its present state, I think I'm gonna just love it the way it is. I've often looked at the chrome on my bike and thought, man they didn't put a lot of effort into that! The chrome isn't very thick and has a rather rough texture too it, and my bike was not rusted or corroded, it's just rough.
Your bikes going to be a beauty!

Back