Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Well, this is a pretty common set-up in many motorcycle carbs. The main jet screws into the bottom of the needle jet and as long as that special washer is between them, the main jet holds the needle jet in the carb body. Without the washer, you could still screw the main jet up into the needle jet, but there would be nothing stopping the two from popping up and out of the carb body into the main bore. So, that washer is pretty important.

there would be nothing stopping the two from popping up and out of the carb body into the main bore. So, that washer is pretty important.
Yeah, so I discovered. Went to remove main jet the other day.... and pushed the whole works up about an eight inch. Main jet hit the needle jet guide/alignment pin..... stopped it from going all the way out. No tellin' how long it's been that way. Amazing the abuse these engines will take and keep on chuggin'.

.....Catch up on the honey do’s. :D
Been replacing fence boards and re-staining all week. This damn heats killin' me....

smiley-sweaty.gif~c200.gif

I hear you man, it was 114 degrees here yesterday and I hid in the house all day. Today was only 110, so I was out in the garage scraping gaskets. I’m moving pretty slow. Haha!

Yup, I’m in Vancouver right now and it’s very nice but central NAM - the heat has been brutal.

It has been well over 100F in Windsor/Detroit for more than a week and more 30 people have died in Montreal as result of the heat. The vulnerable populations are the elderly, the very young, people w. respiratory issues and of course, the homeless who have nowhere to shelter. It’s a pretty tough summer for many folks.

Re-purposing Stuff.... One of My Favorite Pastimes.
Took a box that an old cell phone came in......

11.jpg

Threw 'bout nine dollars and twenty seven cents worth of Chinese stuff in it.....

22.jpg

Throw in a little black paint.... some placards the Brother made.... shake well..... and we have this.

33.jpg

Now.... how to mount it.... :umm:

44.jpg

I gotta couple rotors you can perfect your process with....

Cool!! I'll take em.:D
Heading for bed. I'll send a pm in the morning.

So... I'm stuck up here in Sioux Falls S.D. for the week visiting the in-laws. They really are good people.... but I have very little in common with them. After 4 days I'm just bored to tears. :( The things we do to keep the wife happy.... No tools to play with...... nuttin.....
So, with little else to keep me busy, I did this....

Untitled.png

On comment one of this thread, I've started an index with links to some of the more pertinent parts of the restoration. It's taken most of the day.... and my sanity is intact:)
Tomorrow we head back to KC. :D

Last edited:
Back