Just getting started...'72 XS2 build

Wingedwheel

If it wasn’t broke before, let me try it…
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So I've owned plenty of bikes over the years and the wife and I each have our own cruisers sitting in the garage, but it's hard to justify spending time and money on a machine that basically needs nothing so I've decided to undertake this project. I'm not new to building bikes and built a great chopper in the past using a 750-4 engine. but it was so wide my thighs ached from the spread of the wide engine. I wanted to build a bike that had lots of power, appeal and dependability and I remembered my roomy had a '73 XS back in the day that always impressed me. thus the search began and I found a bike on Craigslist that had been sitting for 13 years in a garage. It had belonged to the owner's Grandfather who had bought it new and passed it along. I hate to say it but the grandson rode it hard and did nothing so it was in pretty bad shape. Hopefully I can get these pics to load. xs650-1.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg everything is there although it's rough. I thought it funny that all the blinker brackets were trashed but the blinker lenses weren't broken.

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg[/ATTACH]

IMG_1224.jpg sorry for the long post. As I progress I'll try and keep it shorter. I did get the bike to fire this morning though so everything is still working. Time to start tearing things apart and decide which way I want this build to go.

Attachments

• IMG_1226.jpg
    IMG_1226.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1219.jpg
    IMG_1219.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 61
IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1236.jpgIt was a beautiful bike for sure, but I spent most of the morning tearing it down and I can see that either way I go it's a TOTAL project. I did get the engine to fire and I have just under 150 in both cylinders. I saw a weak spark on the left and not much of one on the right but that could be the old plug wires. in any case I plan on tearing the engine down mainly to replace the gaskets and clean the cases. Front forks need rebuilding as do the complete brake system. One of the rear shoes was stuck inside the hub and as the pic shows it's still there lol. I may be putting some stock parts up for sale....

Just a heads up on the front brake / axle / fork, 72 is a one year deal, the parts count is a mile high. Don't lose (what's left of) the rubber bumper between the disk and the hub.

Rear brake shoes falling off is common.

ggg is there a problem getting any of the parts? I was planning on putting a kit in the master cylinder and the wheel cylinder, I saw those on Mike's but if I need something else is it difficult to locate? I'm totally new to the XS's and any info is greatly appreciated.

Overhaul parts are the same 72-76 so no problems there. It's the way the rotor attaches to the hub and axle that is oddball. That rubber pad......

I see, thanks for the heads up. I started the teardown on the back end and am working my way forward. I'll look at that tomorrow.

IMG_1246.jpgBonus! When I took the taillight off I found this under the'01 license plate. They must have left it on there for a backer plate each year. This had to be the original tag.

Ok so not much time this week to tear down but back at it today. The latest head-scratcher involves the steering damper. The manual say to remove the cotter pin and pull the rod out, but I don't seem to see a pin? I also think something is missing. Here's a pic of what is there.IMG_1250.jpg

perfect! Thanks jaydett. I still don't see the cotter pin on my bike but it lets me know what I'm looking for and how it's put together.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to watching your progress on your '72. I am currently doing a resto/mod on a '73 and then I have a '72 I want to tackle in the future.

If you're going to resto the '72 and need parts, I'm going to have a few. I'm going Bobber. it looks like the shaft of the damper is stuck inside the end retainer so I'll have to pull the front wheel to get a drift punch inside to see if I can free it that way.

So yesterday The wife and I did a poker run so little progress yesterday. This morning i tackled the front end again and I'm finding out more and more. The cotter pin on my damper was not there but looking up into the end cap I noticed threads. So being ever so gentle (so I thought) I finally got the Damper off.IMG_1258.jpg:wtf: Everything else came off without much problems but the deeper i go the more things I find that were neglected. That engine must be near bullet proof to be in as good of shape as it is when I see what the chassis is like.[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH] Sorting everything out and next is pulling the engine off the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_1261.jpg
    IMG_1261.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1260.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1262.jpg
    IMG_1262.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 127
Boy i sure could use that rear fender and tail light if it's for sale. Just let me know how much you want for it if you deside to sell. Thank's Terry.

Spent a few minutes on it today and I separated the engine from the frame. Not long now until I start to clean all the grime off everything and see what I have.IMG_1266[1].jpg

IMG_1267[1].jpg

Things have been slow while I wait on parts and decide what I want. In the meantime I've been degreasing parts in my special tank, lol and working on cleaning things up.IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

I've had several things in the works and wanted to say how they were going to work out before commenting. I ordered a brat kit from Monstercraftsman but only after several e-mails and calls to re-assure me their product wold work with my bike frame. I ordered the kit and when it came in I followed the directions carefully to cut my frame and this is what I came up with.IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1399.jpgSo after a few calls we realized their product will fit a "74 up we found the three years prior were different. Rich over at MC sent me a mailing label for my frame, told me they would custom make a kit for my frame and send it back welded up. needless to say I shipped it yesterday. I'll post on that further when I get the frame back, but kudos to Monstercraftsman for their outstanding customer service. in the meantime I gave the engine a bath in the degreaser tub[/ATTACH]IMG_1394.jpgIMG_1395.jpg I thought it turned out pretty nice and i'm continuing to learn some polishing skills. IMG_1345.jpgIMG_1414.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1347.jpg
    IMG_1347.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 31
Back