Just got frame powder coated- ground question

sbaugz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just got my frame back from powder coat. What do I need to do to frame to make sure it's all grounded correctly? Ie, what contact points need to be scraped off?

depends on how you wire it. You can run all your grounds to the engine or back to the battery negative pole if you want and not take any powder coating off at all.
If you have switches in the handlebars (yes, the horn button is a "switch) be sure the ground wire coming off the bottom of the handlebar perch finds a good home.

Does the engine actually ground to frame too? If so, do I have to worry about scraping powder from all the engine mount points or can I simply pick one?

Does the engine actually ground to frame too? If so, do I have to worry about scraping powder from all the engine mount points or can I simply pick one?

Keep in mind that you are just making a bunch of circles that start at the positive pole of the battery and end at the negative pole. The electrons don't care what route they take, just so long as they get back "home" to the battery. They leave out the front door (pos. pole) and come back in the back door (negative pole).

If you run a wire from the negative pole to any bare spot on the engine the whole engine acts like one big wire going back to the negative pole and completing the circle for any circuit that started with the positive pole (which is all of them). In other words you can "ground" any of your circuits to any point on the engine that is not insulated by paint or some such so long as the negative pole of the battery is wired to some point on the motor (e.g. the top motor mounts).

I would recommend, as a minimum, scraping/cleaning the inside of the very bottom, long bolt mount. It's likely to get scraped-up anyway during engine install, and the clean surface may let the engine slide/settle in there easier...

I had it all powdered after my seat pan was welded on. I just scraped off some of the powder with sandpaper on a portion of the pan for a good ground.. It's hidden and I didn't expose too much.

I had my frame powder coated so did the following;

bared the area where the ground strap attaches to the frame

bared the frame mount at the rear above the transmission where the triangle plate fits for just one of the bolts

bared the triangle plate on the back side that corresponds to the above frame mount

bared the same triangle plate on the back side where it attached to the engine

cleaned the engine mount if painted or dirty

Choose this area as it was easy to check later if problems occur.

Coils are grounded through the wire harness, but I took extra care that their mounting bolts were grounded as well.

Re-wired most of my harness and new ground wires to most places for peace of mind. 16 awg

Never had any problems.

Done!

Back