Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Hand crankin' one might change your mind on that... :sneaky:
OK for us none airplane guys how bout a little explanation of the inertial starters?

Just from the name I'm guessing it is some kind of a flywheel powered thing that has to spin up to a high speed then engaged to crank over the engine. Thinking the idea is to save the weight and/or current draw of a straight electric starter.

I can imagine that a V-12 Allison would need a bigger starter than an XS650! Something like a 50MT Delco used on a 1710 Cummins or V-12 71Detroit.

Just from the name I'm guessing it is some kind of a flywheel powered thing that has to spin up to a high speed then engaged to crank over the engine. Thinking the idea is to save the weight and/or current draw of a straight electric starter.
Exactly.
thumbsup.gif

Maybe I'm smarter than I look, not that that take much doing.
Also I wonder if the Allisons ran magnetos, that would also have some advantages, like not even needing a functioning electrical system to run. I know it was handy when I had an old battery fail on my Farmall, just had to remember where I kept the crank!

Just about all aircraft engines use mags. An electrical failure causing an engine failure isn't an option.
And I guess it would be even more important in a plane where someone shooting at you could easily cause a problem at a very inopportune time.

That brings up another question. On a V-12 like the Allison would they have one mag for all 12 cylinders or two six cylinder mags or some other combination.

And to get way off topic here just remembered the first girl I ever kissed her middle name was Allison!

That brings up another question. On a V-12 like the Allison would they have one mag for all 12 cylinders or two six cylinder mags or some other combination.
Not familiar with the Allison. In general, aircraft engines have two plugs per cylinder... thus two mags. It's possible the Allison has two sets, one for each bank of cylinders... for a total of 4 mags.

Oh maaannnn. This brings back an old memory. '74 or '75 in my Aero Mechanics class. We had an Surplus Army De Haviland (sp) Beaver and one day each and every student got to hand crank the starter while another student started the R-985 P&W Wasp Jr powered beast. Under supervision of the instructor of course. Yeah that flywheel of the inertia starter was NOT easy to get going. It took some OOOOMMMPH to get it started . Once up to speed one had to stop turning the handle and remove it, jump down and get out of the way of the prop so the student in the cockpit can engage the starter and once the engine started, thump the handle in to disengage the starter and not over-rev the flywheel. I remember thumping it a couple to to make sure it was not engaged. Exciting time for a 17-18 yr old.

And I guess it would be even more important in a plane where someone shooting at you could easily cause a problem at a very inopportune time.
A very good point not lost on all. I was on the team working on the US101 bidding on the USAF replacement for their Pavehawk rescue helicopters. The US101 is a variant of the EH101 Merlin.
US101_5.jpg

It has three engines. The RN uses these and has been known to fly on only one engine for long range patrol to save fuel. When flying a rescue helicopter into a combat situation, knowing that you have spare engines makes the pucker factor slightly less.

For many years, the USN have single engine aircraft, A-7, F-8, A-4 to name a few. One of the reasons these were retired was the fact they only have a single engine. Of course now, they have bought the F-35 which also has a single engine. The powers to be believe that it is so reliable, that the single engine will not fail. They have once more forgot about combat I think. They are counting on superior maneuverability, speed and firepower to prevent being hit. I disagree with that myself.

Another interesting bit of history is the US Army. Back in the 60s, they needed an attack helicopter. One of the contenders was the AH-3 (S-67) Blackhawk.
fimages%2fitems%2fAA2022_S-67%2fAA2022_S-67_real_3.jpg

This helo was fully acrobatic from what I read and could carry an arsenal of munitions. It did not win though, the AH-1 Cobra did. The Army cited the main reason was because the Cobra had one engine and thus is more suited for field maintenance than the two-engine Blackhawk.

What??? No jokes about hand cranking a Beaver... Must be the Covid-19 vaccine, or everyone suddenly grew up...:hellno:

My dear man - the DeHavilland Canada DHC2 Beaver was designed and built in Canada and as a Canadian - it is the soul of politeness, decorum, manners and good breeding.

how-do-you-get-100-drunk-and-rowdy-canadians-out-o.jpg

....my f@ckin' arse.....:lmao:

Ahhhhh....the Chance Vought XF5U-1 and its 1/5 scale concept demonstrator, the V173. These were ultra-low aspect ratio aircraft with unusual propulsion and control systems.
Here is a video from the YouTube channel “Dark Skies”. It is interesting, but I have often noted serious technical errors in his texts- so I wouldn’t take everything as the Gospel....

Back