Just purchased a '70 have A LOT OF work ahead

Drew650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,
I just purchased this beauty a few days ago and don't even have it home yet. I found this site and have been reading a lot. Thought I'd post a thread to see what maybe I should expect ahead of me.

1. Does not run currently, it did when put away 6 years ago (supposedly)
2. Complete for the most part just a few cosmetics.
3. Tank is clean and most of the lines look okay.
4. Transmission shifts at least between first neutral and 2nd just fine.

I'm going to do pretty much a full teardown but I've never done it before as this is also my first real bike. I have the basic mechanical skills, room, and time to take it on. I'm just looking for some advice to get me started or what to expect. Thanks on advanced!

Hoo-boy, a first year collectable.
First lesson: Difficult to find parts. And when you do, $$$$$.
Second lesson: Get the early service and parts manuals.
Third lesson: There were many revisions in that first year. Keep your serial number handy...

Ha ha... I was told it wouldn't be too hard to find parts. But I figured myself it would be. But thank you I will look into manuals today

Okay!!! I was way off I was told it's a '70 after running the serial, turns out it's a 79. I just learned this after doing hours of research on the 70's but I guess it's good news since I'm on a budget with parts. Already took the tank and seat off but I'll post some pics

uploadfromtaptalk1435262031075.jpguploadfromtaptalk1435262058997.jpg

welcome Drew650, Plastic air-box's, Tin topped BS34 carbs and rear mag wheel, disk brake, saz the bike is an 80SG. Factory Electronic Ignition, (TCI). ............Getting newer by the day

Make sure the spark plugs are ground to the motor when testing for spark, Lack of ground will blow the TCI unit, if it is still working.

Yep, skull you're right. I looked at the table wrong when looking at the serial number. Man I'm glad I found this site. I'm currently cleaning the carbs. I think I'm going to replace the air box's with a couple of pods next. The work on electrical including the TCI and plugs. This daunting task is looking doable now! Any advice on a repair manual? I bought one for the "70" but obviously a lot has changed since then.

Drew650, Start a thread in the Garage.

Links to online manuals HERE, till you buy one. Scroll down past the Brochures/pics.

Everything that you need to know will be in the "Tech Menu", may take a while to find the threads your after, and also use the "Google search".

Thanks skull, at first glance it looks a bit confusing with all the different models but I must be overlooking something. I'll make a new thread on my next question. Thanks for the info though looks like a lot of great info.

just throw up a new thread in the garage, and link this one over there.
I bet your neck tag says 79, huh? mine said 79, but was deffinately dressed as a 80sg from the factory.
Another thing. If the seller priced it to as a 70 to get some more cash, ide egg his house!!

just throw up a new thread in the garage, and link this one over there.
I bet your neck tag says 79, huh? mine said 79, but was deffinately dressed as a 80sg from the factory.
Another thing. If the seller priced it to as a 70 to get some more cash, ide egg his house!!

well, seeing as it only cost me $150 delivered with title, I'm not thinking he was trying to get some more cash. just uninformed as it was his Father's.

well, seeing as it only cost me $150 delivered with title, I'm not thinking he was trying to get some more cash. just uninformed as it was his Father's.

Hi Drew
I bought a '79 for $100 a while back but it had no title and came in a pile of cardboard boxes so $150 is a total bargain even if it don't have a seat or a gas tank.
Ditch the rototillers for bars with sensible ergonomics and if you must switch to pods go with UNIpods. The tapered pleated pods from MikesXS don't work as nice even if they do say XS on their ends.

Back