Kent Money's First Build - "Beginner's Luck"

I bought my XS as a project and a learning experience. I've been dwelling on how deep I wanted to get into the motor being my first time. I want to do a total rebuild and send my crank to Hugh... but I've been scared to get in over my head. I think your thread has convinced me to go ahead and go for it... maybe... lol!

Hey man, I'm glad this thread could inspire you. I was very much in a similar situation as you probably read, and it all turned out great! Just make sure you read up, do your research, and you'll be golden.

and we'll be here for when you get stumped!

Some updates:

been moving a bit slow on fabrication of the final components. busy with work and other projects. I added new Progressive springs to the forks along with cartridge emulators.

I picked up a used Henrob2000 gas welder and it's been awesome. Managed to fab up my rear fender with it. I was orignally going to make it from aluminum but I've been having problems welding it with the gas welder, so I ended up making it out of steel.

It's a little overbuilt but it will be weight bearing, so better be safe than sorry. The idea is that the seat pan and padding will end on the top of the fender so I can have my little girlfriend sit on it.

txj07.jpg

sHVHw.jpg

IgEX2.jpg

Banging out the seat pan at the moment. The back will be shaped more once it's done.
u3DkN.jpg

my build at the moment. gettin there...Final plans are to finish the seat, fab up my new 2-1 exhaust with carbon muffler, and a little headlight fairing. Then final tear down for paint and rewire. It's turning out more 'street fighter' than I had anticipated, but I'm happy.

I8qqT.jpg

V9M6l.jpg

Bonus:
eKxBk.jpg

vLDue.jpg

I really like the look of that seat/fender. I've been trying to figure out what to do with mine, that gives me some good ideas.

glad it could help!

So I've been working on the bike a lot the past two weeks and here is how she stood this afternoon. Took the seat to an upholstery place today and I think it's gonna hopefully turn out great.

zXyd5.jpg

Will follow up with some build pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
It makes a huge difference. I just got done rejetting as well: 137.5 mains, 3rd clip on canadian needles, and 50 pilots.

I don't know how to explain it other than it sounds more "modern" with the can. Its pretty muffled but it still has a deep tone to it. As for performance, wow, it just seems like it pulls stronger throughout the powerband, I'm loving it. May have to adjust jetting again, not sure, but I didn't notice any stumbles or hiccups on the last test run. Maybe just a tad of difficulty right off the line, but that's it.

I also just picked up some 20/50 amsoil and a mikesxs oil cooler so I'm gonna put those in soon in anticipation of a hot summer.

Here are the progress shots from my seat.

Here is the seat pan, all welded, bent, and drilled up. I also put primer and paint on the pan with cardoor trim for abrasion resistance.
6dV6W.jpg

Layered closed cell foam and shaped with a steak knife
OZ5Fi.jpg

Here is the seat during final shaping
OF8yu.jpg

sgyoc.jpg

KaxPb.jpg

My "battery box", haha
5Ub2q.jpg

Alright, more updates.

Went and changed my oil two days ago. I have been using dino oil for the past 3300 mi and so I finally tried some synthetic stuff after reading a bit on it here at XS650.com Decided to also install my MikesXS oil cooler while I was at it. The stock gasket seems to sorta impede flow, so I cut it a bit.

jrRIo.jpg

LP25Ah.jpg

I also got my seat back from the upholster and here she is! I wasn't in love with it when I first got it but it's growing on me. I wish the nose was actually squared off as opposed to pointed, but this will work.
yJ9cph.jpg

And here is how she stands now!
7MMlxh.jpg

gXNalh.jpg

W6Ta9h.jpg

XSJoel, tell me more about this upgrade! Will this mod work with the same MC that works with the stock calipers?

Dorzok, this is what I thought about how it feels now:

"I don't know how to explain it other than it sounds more "modern" with the can. Its pretty muffled but it still has a deep tone to it. As for performance, wow, it just seems like it pulls stronger throughout the powerband, I'm loving it. May have to adjust jetting again, not sure, but I didn't notice any stumbles or hiccups on the last test run. Maybe just a tad of difficulty right off the line, but that's it."

It also vibrates less and is therefore more comfortable during high speed cruising around 80mph.

No, you need a new master cylinder, I forget which exact one, but Mikes sells it, I think its listed as a slim MC on there. Also need a bracket machined up, I have the plans on my computer and am waiting for my dad to mill it out. I cannot take credit for it, I found it on here, search for R1 caliper swap and you should be able to find it.

Welp, about three weeks ago I took my XS650 on her first REAL maiden voyage. I took a 1000mi roundtrip ride from the Bay Area to Los Angeles for the Born Free 4 event, including all the zipping around I did in the Los Angeles Area.

Not a single problem with the bike EXCEPT I burned out the clutch on the return trip home on the 101. I was riding with 5 other guys, all on Harleys that were at least 10 years newer and twice the size in displacement, and there was a tremendous headwind. So, headwind + trying to keep up with these dudes at 80mph = burnt out clutch.

I was giving it gas and all of a sudden I lost power to the wheel, but I could hear the engine revving. I have an oil temp gauge and I could see that it was definitely getting on the hot side, approaching 280 degrees. When I pulled over there was a strong and distinct smell, I thought it was crops from the countryside we were riding in. Turns out it was definitely coming from my engine, it was a strange smell. Anyone experienced burnt kevlar clutch plates before?

Well, I fiddled with the clutch adjustment on the side cover and managed to get the clutch to engage again, albeit slipping when going above 60mph. Managed to ride it 25 more miles like this and then fiddled with the clutch adjustment some more when we pulled over for gas. That time I was able to get the bike up to 80mph without slipping, but I need to inspect my clutch now. :banghead:

PICTURES

Pics from the leg down to LA
SVjS2.jpg

EQn9y.jpg

At the show and after:
yHBFO.jpg

jFfGk.jpg

hjNtG.jpg

BONUS EYE CANDY:
k1QLk.jpg

YeZdV.jpg

Last edited:
OK, finally got a chance to dig into the clutch this week. I had already ordered some new EBC friction disks and they had been soaking in motor oil in anticipation of the swap. I addition, I had on hand a throw-out thrust bearing and single piece push rod that I've had for a while but have been waiting to install.

Here is the bike after I opened her up for surgery.

vZ0Xv.jpg

ld0f5.jpg

And here you can see a comparison of the upgraded thrust bearing and the old one. There are like 4x as many rollers on the upgraded version!

eMSII.jpg

I finally found out what the funky smell I experienced on my trip was: it was burning cork! Here is a look at the friction disks I pulled out from my bike, horrible! Two of the disks were completely stripped of their cork and there was burnt cork gunk all over the clutch basket. Some of the pressure plates got a bit of scoring and marking, but I am going to reuse them.

Here is one side of the friction disks:

64nTo.jpg

s0M9S.jpg

and the other side; obliterated!

Uq1i6.jpg

NPeoK.jpg

In addition, I found another problem and from this I gained a lesson in automotive bolt grading. I had utilized grade 8.8 metric hardware for my clutch spring bolts with the understanding that grade 8 was suitable for high-stress automotive applications. But when I removed them to change the friction disks I found that they were all bent! The third from left really shows it.

LhyHt.jpg

Well, it turns out that when dealing with metric hardware, it is actually grade 10.9 metric bolts that are equivalent to grade 8 american bolts. So, I've upgraded the hardware to 10.9 and I should be good from here on out.

While I was at it and my exhaust had to come off anyways, I decided to clean them up and go for a VHT header clear coat finish. It should have a cool brushed metal look with a slight "patina" at the welded areas..

VrWHd.jpg

And here she is now, waiting for the exhaust and new headlight.

aygyN.jpg

I had to special order the VHT paint, so I will update with new pics once I get them done and back on my bike! until then, safe riding yall! :bike:

Back