Kick start issue???

shadyj7

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. I just recently wired and put my first build together . And over the last 3 days when i kick start over most of the time it fires up the first kick but some times the kick lever goes down with no resistance springs back up and if i roll the bike forward or back a foot or to its like it get pressure and kick over fine again. Any body know what may cause this? Any help would be great. oh and anybody know a easier way to replace the clutch rod seal besides taking the engine apart.

IMAG0686.jpg

Improper clutch adjustment. You have the clutch a bit tight.
The kick start engages gears in the transmission, these gears turn the input shaft of the tranny. The input shaft turns the clutch hub. The hub turns the clutch basket with the clutch plates. The basket is geared to the crank shaft, so as the basket turns the engine turns. If the clutch is adjusted to tight the clutch slips and the engine won't turn over.
Adjust your clutch.
Leo

Thanks xsLeo for the quick reply! thank make sense. i had it too loose at first so i made it tighter, i guess a little too tight. Thanks again

This is copied from Mikes.

" Note: The Clutch pushrod seal is a chronic leaker.
This seal was made to be replaced when the engine cases are split! It can be
replaced without splitting the cases but it is tricky to drive it in intact.
We suggest riders purchase more than one as you will need another again
someday if not right away if you do not succeed in replacing the seal intact.
We suggest you also clean and polish your clutch pushrod as grit & nicks on
the rod will saw away at the seal lip causing early wear. "

This is almost all the way down at the bottom of the page on the FAQ from Mikes.

http://www.mikesxs.net/faq.html

+1 the push rod seal is done without splitting the cases. Be sure to polish any rough spots on the clutch push rod, it is normal that a worn out chain burred it up. Many recomend the one piece push rod and replacing the bushing behind the seal also. Buy two seals as mucking up the first one is SOP While you have the cover off; remove clean and regrease the clutch worm gear assembly.

I use a number 3 Phillips head screw driver to push the seal in. The shaft of the screw driver is just a bit smaller than the push rod so it won't hurt the seal. Get a fender washer that just slides down on the screw driver. If you don't know a fender washer has a small inner hole with a very large outside diameter. Get one at the hardware store, ask one of the older fellows, he'll know what it is.
Slide the washer on the screwdriver, slide the seal on the screwdriver, now insert the screwdriver into the hole the pushrod goes into.
The shaft of the screwdriver helps keep the seal going in straight. The washer if bigger than the seal hits the case and keeps from pushing the seal in to far. Just a gentle push will be enough. No hammer.
A bit of Yamabond on the outside of the seal lubes the seal so it slides in easier. After the seal is inplace the Yamabond helps seal the seal to the case.
Oh, one more thing. On the edge of the seal hole the edge is very square and sharp. This is what F's up the seal when you push it in. You need to break this sharp edge. A pocket knife, a deburring tool what ever you have. Just bevel the edge a bit, so it won't cut the seal.
Other than that the instructions on Mike's XS site are very good.
Leo

Thanks again Leo! I adjusted the clutch yesterday and works perfect every time. going to order the seal tonight.

Back