Kick starter not engaging

ksqrly

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all my kick starter is not engaging. It spins the clutch, but it doesn't turn the pistons over. I read this article http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772 and I am guessing it would be my kick clip. The thing I am not understanding is how to replace it. The article is kind of vague. Any help would be much appreciated.

At the risk of belaboring the obvious, you're not holding the clutch in while kicking, are you?

Kickstarter is mated to the crankshaft via the clutch. If you're holding the clutch in, nothing is gonna happen.

Downeaster are you saying if I pull in the clutch and give it a kick it wont turn the pistons over? If that is the case can the bike not be started in gear?

To kick start the XS650 you need it in neutral, clutch lever not pulled.
The kick lever engages a gear in the tranny, this spins the shaft in the tranny to turn the clutch hub. With the clutch properly assembled this turns the basket, which engages the gear on the crank, then the crank turns.
Leo

Thanks Leo. When I was at my shop trying it the other day the bike was in gear, and no shift lever on yet so I just assumed I could pull in the clutch. I guess that is what I get for assumming. Thanks for the help.

Yes, most dirt bikes are set up this way so they can be quickly re-started if stalled without putting it in neutral first.

At the risk of belaboring the obvious, you're not holding the clutch in while kicking, are you?

Kickstarter is mated to the crankshaft via the clutch. If you're holding the clutch in, nothing is gonna happen.

Ah!!!!!!! That explains why that happened once!!!! LOL!!! Kicked the 82 I'm rebuilding yesterday for the first time. Was much easier than I expected. Then one time I tried, I 'bout stubbed my toe because it didn't engage... Started with the starter... Then later when I poked at it the kick engaged again! Thanks for explaining that potential problem away for me! Years before I needed it even!

Back