Kickstart Issue?

glennpm

Another Old Biker Nut!
Reaction score
Hi,

Back into my project after many months of not being able to work on it and I need some help.

I installed my Pamco yesterday and needed to get back to TDC and tried to do it with my kickstarter to rotate the engine. This is a kickstart only engine.The kickstart spiral gear meshes fine with the small transmission gear but I can't budge/rotate the engine with it. There are no spark pugs in and the transmission is in neutral. I can rotate it with a wrench on the gear nut to the far right as shown in the attached picture without an awful lot of force. As you can see I don't have the side cases on so can't release the clutch. Is this normal?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN3709.JPG
    DSCN3709.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN3705.JPG
    DSCN3705.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 134
If the kicstart mechansm is installed correctly if will turn the engine over.
When plulling the cover off the kickstart mechanism will slightly dislodge it's self and not work. It will lock up
I know it has happeed to me a couple times
the engine is upside down in this video( the tang the peanut is talking about is what move out of place and locks up the kickstart mech.)

If you are trying to kick start the engine with the right side cover off, it lets the pressure of your foot move the shaft down and bind the shaft. Install the right side cover.
The kick start uses the clutch to turn the engine. You don't pull the clutch to use the kick start. So having the left cover on makes no difference.
Leo

Well problem solved ... sort of.

The PMA was dragging. I don't know how it was on too far, but it is. Now I have to figure out if there is a thin shim that i should have put on the shaft before tightening the nut holding it on. It was on pretty good too on the taper.

Appreciate the quick help above, but I did have the kickstart arrangement installed correctly.

Thanks Guys!

Actually you can, a cone in a cone but I found the point of contact and plan to file it down tonight. I'm glad it is only this since I had bad visions of splitting the cases again.

What torque spec did you use for the but on the tapered shaft of the PMA install? What brand PMA was installed? A few things are missing from the problem.

Hi,

I took a few pics last night. You can see the single point of contact on the bottom plate of the aluminum PMA unit. There are no others. The back of the PMA flywheel has been scuffed.

Next step is to take the contact point down with a file or dremel and clean up the back of the flywheel. I'll put a piece of 600 paper on my table, put the flywheel on top of it and rotate it to sand it lightly then clean it up for reassembly.

The unit came from Hugh's. Torqued it to 25 ft-lb but maybe not!

Attachments

• DSCN3710.jpg
    DSCN3710.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN3712.jpg
    DSCN3712.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN3715.jpg
    DSCN3715.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN3716.JPG
    DSCN3716.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 122
Wow, thats a bummer. I believe the spec should be 50-54 ft lbs for that nut, so if you are actually at 25 ft lbs, the nut may come off.

I would take the same actions as you are to correct this issue.

Back