Killer Twisted 2 into 1 Lectron Intake

MiniDanzig

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Saw a ton of incredible bikes this past weekend at the Brooklyn Invitational, but quite a few less XS than last year. This one was particularly rad though.

xs_intake_1.jpg

Aluminum 2 into 1 intake, single Lectron carb, into custom airbox. Talked to the creator of this beast and he said it runs fantastic for him. It cold started first kick and sounded great. The tubes are almost identical in length the left being 17" and the right being 17.5". I didn't think this was really crucial, but why not do it as close to perfect as you can right? I don't really care for the airbox, but the whole setup is one of the coolest i've seen and i thought you'd all like to check it out.

xs_intake_2.jpg

xs_intake_3.jpg

xs_intake_4.jpg

and in case you wanted to check them out you can see the rest of my photos from the show HERE

I always cringe when I see fuel delivery systems like that. Maybe its the side of me that is function over form. I like to see a happy medium between performance and looks. One of the shops that does it the best is Falcon Motorcycles IMHO. None the less I do appreciate the amount of work that went into making it. The tail and bars are super cool as well. Thanks for posting this up. Definitely a unique bike, and I always like to see something where the builder is thinking outside of the box.

That's neat! :) I have become a huge fan of single-carb setups, and that's a trick-looking one for sure!

Do you recall what his idle was like? Mine is assymetrical (possibly because of the unequal runner lengths on my particular intake and because the PAMCO firing properties), but very stable (calm tach needle at op temp).

Thanks for sharing this!

TC

This one was particularly rad though.

The 80's are over. :p

..The tubes are almost identical in length the left being 17" and the right being 17.5". I didn't think this was really crucial, but why not do it as close to perfect as you can right?

Actually, no. A slight mis-match in intake length, tunes each cylinder to a slightly different RPM, broadening the torque curve.

I always cringe when I see fuel delivery systems like that. Maybe its the side of me that is function over form.

Yeah, did you see the pic with the exhaust pipe going directly under the intake? Oh, I guess that's to keep the intake nice and hot when you're riding it in the snow, right?? :D

I once saw a temporary intake manifold made from clear flexible plastic tubing. You could clearly see raw gasoline pooling up in the low sections. The engine was a 600 cc Kawasaki with a single carb in a Formula SAE car. It ran lean until it got a big dose of fuel. Not the best way to do this. Looks cool though maybe for a lamp or something.

Wonder if the guy figured out the ram-effect tuning on that... bet it would be a kick on the top end. :-D

Well as Bo said about the gas pooling I would think the exhaust would heat the intake that might keep the gas in suspension and not pool in the pipe. This could have been a well planed system and not some YAHOO welding a couple pipes together he had lengths within a half inch. That's a feat in it's self considering. I like my bike stock look. That's not a stock bike and not a lookalike you should have invited him here so we could have picked his brains about the performance aspect. If you are here tell us more Great looking bike.

Highside said:
Actually, no. A slight mis-match in intake length, tunes each cylinder to a slightly different RPM, broadening the torque curve.

I never knew this! :eek: But I can't argue with it! :D

It works on the exhaust side too. This is a well known trick with cage racers.

A good description of how this works is in the book "Four-Stroke Performance Tuning" by A. Grahm Bell, ISBN# 1 85960 435 8. It's and eye opening book. Anyone concerned with engine performance should read it.

It works on the exhaust side too. This is a well known trick with cage racers.

A good description of how this works is in the book "Four-Stroke Performance Tuning" by A. Grahm Bell, ISBN# 1 85960 435 8. It's and eye opening book. Anyone concerned with engine performance should read it.

I've heard of circle track guys taking it a step further and grinding a different cam profile on each cylinder to match the runner and header.

I've heard of circle track guys taking it a step further and grinding a different cam profile on each cylinder to match the runner and header.

Smokey Yunick used to build engines with a different compression ratio for each cylinder based on intake flow ratings. Cylinders that flowed the most got the lowest comp ratios.

"Dyno" Don Nicholson built BBC's with 2 or 3 different brands of pistons that were ballanced to weigh the same. He selscted the pistons based on which gave the best burn patterns in a particular cylinder.

re: fuel pooling. Smooth surfaces are exceptionally bad for separating gas out, I'm not surprised it was seen in a clear vinyl tube.

If this cat put in as much detail everywhere on the project, I bet he roughed up the inside of those pipes a little bit.

Back