Kowalski

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I like to check out old service stations, garages. Equally, to meet the owner, which is something that can be difficult to accomplish. A week ago, while touring the Catskill Mountain Region of NYS, I stopped at the only garage in North Blenheim; "Asshole's Garage," the sign said. A bit intimidated, I forged ahead, intrigued with the exterior.

Blenheim 001.JPG

Blenheim 006.JPG

"Bah Humbug" was spray painted on the front window. The interior bays were also "colorful", a Model T (?) was being worked on, and a life-size Smokey The Bear stood in the corner. Lots of stuff on the walls.

Blenheim 007.JPG

Blenheim 008.JPG

I was told that "The Mayor" was in the back, in his office. I found the owner doing a crossword puzzle, and at first I got a sense that I was quite unwelcome. Not the case, it turns out, and The Mayor (he made no explanation for that title) said he had been there for 31 years, and "regretted none of it". He shook my hand and introduced himself as Stephen Kowalski. "A good Polish name", he said.

Blenheim 009.JPG

I blurted out, "Kowalski ! I know that name, from the movies. Brando, yes?" "Yup," The Mayor said, "On The Waterfront". "STELLA !!!", we both yelled in unison. Well, he got the movie wrong (it was A Streetcar Named Desire, actually), but who cares. I certainly didnt want to correct The Mayor of North Blenheim.

Last edited:
I like to check out old service stations, garages. Equally, to meet the owner, which is something that can be difficult to accomplish. A week ago, while touring the Catskill Mountain Region of NYS, I stopped at the only garage in North Blenheim; "Asshole's Garage," the sign said. A bit intimidated, I forged ahead, intrigued with the exterior.

View attachment 103828

View attachment 103829

"Bah Humbug" was spray painted on the front window. The interior bays were also "colorful", a Model T (?) was being worked on, and a life-size Smokey The Bear stood in the corner. Lots of stuff on the walls.

View attachment 103830

View attachment 103831

I was told that "The Mayor" was in the back, in his office. I found the owner doing a crossword puzzle, and at first I got a sense that I was quite unwelcome. Not the case, it turns out, and The Mayor (he made no explanation for that title) said he had been there for 31 years, and "regretted none of it". He shook my hand and introduced himself as Stephen Kowalski. "A good Polish name", he said.

View attachment 103832

I blurted out, "Kowalski ! I know that name, from the movies. Brando, yes?" "Yup," The Mayor said, "On The Waterfront". "STELLA !!!", we both yelled in unison. Well, he got the movie wrong (it was A Streetcar Named Desire, actually), but who cares. I certainly didnt want to correct The Mayor of North Blenheim.

cool story

I took this photo in front of an abandoned gas station in Skull Valley Arizona.
View attachment 103856
I love it !
The Skull Valley Garage sounds like the backdrop to a Hitchcock film. Located down the street from the Bates Motel.

One of my long-term dreams has been to find an old garage sign like that one for the outside of my own home garage/workshop. That dream was finally realized a month ago when I came across these 14" inch high metal/porcelain vintage letters at a flea market. I managed to find the six key letters. ...............G-A-R-A-G-E ; Here are 3 of them the day I brought them home.

003.JPG

Great pictures !
The high tension carriers remind me of 1950's sci-fi monster films. The B & W lends the photo to that period.

I knew nothing at all about the DL models until a few years ago when I took the KLR down to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I came upon a retired Japanese fellow on a DL at a pull-over. He spoke very little English, but after a few minutes we were "talking motorcycle" pretty well (common language, these motorcycles) and he suggested we switch bikes for 5 miles. He had lowered his, making it quite accessible, compared to my KLR, which was just like getting on a horse. I really enjoyed the DL, and remain interested in getting one. The engine designs pleasantly reminds of ...........it escapes me at the moment,.......an Italian model.......

2011 DL650, it's a sweetie! Lots of go but not too heavy!
View attachment 103866
View attachment 103868
I really liked the KLR, and I took it way, way, out, deep into forests, where I encountered almost no other vehicles. Ultimately, I crashed it at a low speed one day, and shattered my hip. Lay on the ground for a few hours until someone came along and helped me back on the bike to ride home. I decided to sell to leave the memories behind. Thats me in the mirrors.

frame 003.jpg

Back